IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Friday, September 21, 2007

UNCLE SAM



I received my annual social security account statement which set me to once again thinking-plotting-& planning when I plan to begin drawing my social security. I am actually not quite old enough to begin receiving that check-BUT it is never too early to think these things over. As the statement explains to you, you have the option to begin drawing early, at 62, or anytime up until the full retirement age, which for me is 66. The difference in the time you begin your social security journey is that the amount is considerable less at 62 than at full retirement age. You have to consider the 4 years you will draw the lesser amount and the preceived earning capacity of the money during that period of time and the income tax cost of drawing during that time. IT CAN BECOME COMPLICATED! It is all a lottery game or a game of chance. If you do not start drawing at 62 and die before you are 66-YOU ARE OUT OF LUCK. And guess what-Uncle Sam reaps the benefit. Your spouse can draw the greater of his social security or yours, as you surviving spouse, but not both. I am busy trying to figure out how to BEAT THE SYSTEM. I will have to live until I am 79 1/2, if I wait until my 66th birthday to begin drawing to be ahead of Uncle Sam's game. Then every month I live after 79 1/2, I am getting to him! There is a lot of longevity in the females in my family, but what if someone runs over me-or a shark eats me-or a snake bites me at the park-you get my drift???? If I wait to draw when I am 66, I am going to alert all of my children and Mr. C that in the event of an illness-etc.-they are to hook me up to ALL of the machines that can keep me alive. If mushrooms start growing out of my ears and navel, they are to keep me alive until 79 1/2 + 1 month. I NEED TO GET THE BEST OF UNCLE SAM!

OK- one more time---HURRAH FOR FRIDAY! It is truly a delight-this one day of the week- to know that I do not have to get out of the bed-nor do I have to do anything physical. Now I am usually up around 7 or before anyway-BUT-I didn't have to do that.

Tomorrow AM is long run. I WILL DEFINITELY THINK ABOUT THAT TOMORROW!

No comments: