IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Thursday, September 13, 2007

PAIN ! - CHAPTER TWO

I went back to the massage therapist today for Part Deux of "Pain You Have Never Known". Today's session consisted of the "sports massage". We started by warming my muscles up in the areas that he was going to work on. That actually started out alright AND THEN he began the let see how hard I can push this knot in your muscle section. Think of a bad bruise you have had that had a knot in the center of it. Think what it would feel like if you took your thumb and pushed into that knot as hard as you could. OK-that is the picture. After warming the muscle and working out all of the knots-THE STRETCHING began. Ok-lie on your stomach and put the sole of your foot by your ear-FEEL THOSE HAMSTRINGS? Now drop your leg off the side of the table and let me see how far I can get your lower leg to contort in both directions while holding the upper leg steady. Flop over on your back and see if you can touch your nose with your kneecap-WHILE LYING FLAT. Just a few examples of the fun-which went on for an hour.


The worst part was THE REALLY DEEP TISSUE massage part. Imagine that your leg has mine shafts full of muscle in it. The area around the hip (REMEMBER THIS IS WHAT TOOK ME TO MR. JEFF) has three tiers of shafts. The problem seems to be in the very lowest shaft and before you can work out that problem you have to work on the two shafts above it which also are strung as tight as a fully extended bungee cord with a 300 pound man hanging on it. Hopefully no one was outside the room while I was, at times quite loudly, moaning and groaning. THIS HURTS-BIG TIME! I had to reach down to the bottom of my gut and pull out all of my "I'M Going To Be Brave" cards. One time, I actually did yell, "Calf Rope", which Jeff found quite amusing. The man needs to enter the "Strongest Thumb, Palm and Forearm Contest"!


The weird thing is that after the torture is over-well it actually is better. I am going back next week, trying to work out all of the knots and loosen everything up and then when that happens-hopefully- be on a maintenance routine.


We had small group last night with a lesson on persistence prayer. What a blessing each and everyone of those people are to me. It sends chills up and down me to realize that this is how the New Testament church began-in a house with believers gathered to worship and fellowship. HOW COOL!


I got up and walked 5 with Sandra this AM. For some strange reason, Larry does not show on Thursday's. Could it be that he is sick of getting up after a few mornings in a row? Senor Humborto came blowing ashore and brought with him the heat and humidity. Our one day of 66 to run in was great-but short lived. We are back to Louisiana weather, which makes for miserable running. Camille called this AM to tell us that it was in the 40's in Erie, I am going to remember that this winter-PAY BACK IS COMING!


No comments: