IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Monday, September 24, 2007

CALL ME MARTHA

The runners are giving a shower this weekend for one of our daughters. We always have a good time doing these parties together and have pretty much wined, dined, or showered each and every child when they married. My job this time is the flower arrangements. I have a GREAT time doing this since I consider it a personal challenge to find flowers, greenery, etc. growing in the wild or in some one's yard. I have strolled through many of the road side ditches in Lincoln Parish in the quest for these goodies. The arranging part is easy-I went to the Melody Taunton School of cramming it into the vase. I have spotted a few really neat things while running, but am not sure whose yards they are in. It usually is proper protocol to ask before cutting. I have had some really funny looks when requesting some of the things I use. This time of the year I love to use golden rod which is growing in abundance. It does require getting into some snaky looking areas to cut it and then you have to strip the greenery. If I don't have allergies before I start, they are guaranteed before I finish. It never ceases to amaze me how God provides such beautiful tools, all year round, to use in arrangements. I am looking forward to putting together just the right combination of them for the party Saturday.


Larry & I ran alone this morning. It seems some people hear a few drops of rain and immediately turn over and go back to sleep (I have been guilty). Think about going in your bathroom and turning on the shower, full steam ahead, and keeping it good and closed up so that the room becomes a cloud of mist. Then drag you treadmill in there and turn up the incline. That is what today's run felt like. Larry did take pity on me and keep me insight until we headed back to the track. IT WAS NOT FUN! The 5 mile walk after the 5 mile run was equally difficult. The high heat and humidity makes for Louisiana torture on these mornings. If you see Mother Nature, please remind her that - IT IS FALL!
This is what the street looks like this time of the year when it is raining. Oil slick with wet leaves on it. SLIPPING & SLIDING DOWN THE ROAD!

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Dear Lora,

I posted a new blog just for you:) I'll have to ask Melody about this alleged "flower cramming" skill she has. She's one of my cherished Sunday School teachers! I see Sandra at least once a week it seems and yet I NEVER see you. How does that happen?

the Jennings secede from the South said...

You should move up to Erie... its nice & cool!