IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Monday, September 10, 2007

THE PERFECT JOB


We are having construction done on the US highway in front of our neighborhood. This construction has actually been going on for now three years. As I was sitting waiting for the single lane to open so that I could go to town, I reflected on the man holding the sign that says SLOW or STOP. This could be one of my dream jobs. It doesn't take a lot of effort, yet YOU ARE IN CHARGE. I could look important, earn a good paycheck, and really not have to work real hard. I am so sorry if I have offended any road construction engineers out there in cyberspace. Let's face it, you get to wear the walkie-talkie and talk into it while you and your counterpart on the other end of the one lane decide when it is time for you to move forward. I would imagine the conversation goes something like this:

#1-It sure is hot out here. Let's make these yokels in the air conditioned cars pay. We'll just stop both lanes of traffic.

# 2- Yeah-that's great. We're in charge here and they can just guess when we will let them through.

# 1-Do you have any plans after work?

#2-Naw-just grab a liquid refreshment and wait for the old lady to cook my supper.

# 1-I'm getting tired of looking at this old hag in the explorer-I'm going to let some of these yokels through. When I see a good looking chick-she's stopping at the front of the line and I'm star gazing for a while.


I could really do this job and without all of this trivial conversation. I would have everyone going through at 60 and the next side ready in two shakes. The only problem might be the irate motorist with the 2 ton vehicle that decides he doesn't like my timing. UM!!!!!


For many years, my dream job was collecting quarters at the toll booth going to the beach in Florida. I could really do that! Another job being in charge, but no hard days, a decent check, and OH YEAH THE BEACH!


If I could start my career life over, I might try one of these two jobs-but if they didn't work out-I could always go to another fall back that I always wanted to do-be a brain surgeon.


I ran 5 this AM with Susan & Larry. OUT OF MY LEAGUE! I didn't see Larry again after about mile 2. He ran in the Race for the Cure Saturday and had a GREAT time. That just goes to show what you can do if you will lose about 40 pounds. I don't think I will try that one! We walked almost 4 after that with Mrs. Sandra. THAT WOMAN IS SOMETHING ELSE. That will be another day's topic.


For those concerned about my toe, don't worry, it only hurts when I take a step.

No comments: