IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Saturday, September 15, 2007

Day Of The Dog

This mornings long run started with 11 of us running down 167 at 5:30. Where are all of these people going in their cars at that time of the morning? We have a mile route we run through a neighborhood at the very beginning of our run before commencing on down the road. As usual all of the "Big Girls" have darted out to a fast start and are about 2-3 blocks in front of the slugs dragging up the rear. As we were coming up the hill to turn unto 167 S, we hear this blood curdling scream from the big girls. It turns out that one of the houses along the route have a dog that has gotten out of the fence. Miss Ivory is TERRIFIED of all dogs, but those big ones that come after us are particularly scary. If you have never seen Ivory, she is probably at least 5'10" and has 5' of that statute in legs. They said she proceeded to climb Sam, Lisa's finance, to get away from the dog. Sam came to the rescue and chased the dog off. He did such a good job of intimidating him that he did not come out and chase "the slugs" when we ran by. I wonder what the neighbors thought when they heard that scream at that time of the morning?

The rest of the run was pretty normal-long-but doable until we get to the last less than a mile. When you run up the hill at Chautaqua you can go left or right. Our normal route is left and this is a tough finish, but doable. Miss Stephanie had the BRILLIANT idea that we should try right today. After I had run (by myself by this time) .35 mile, I encounter not one, but two very large German Shepperds that seem to be guarding their territory with great vigilance. I turn around and go back and finish the way we normally go. In case you have not figured this out, I have gone an extra .7 mile. 12.7 miles-BUT WHO IS COUNTING! That extra-unexpected mileage-even though it sounds minimal does not make me a happy camper. By the time I got back to the bank, I told Stephanie that I would choke her, if I had the strength. We walked another mile to stretch those tired legs out.

I came home and worked in the yard with BC and blew off the church sidewalks and drives after that. I HAD HAD ENOUGH!

Fun times tonight! I am cooking burgers & beans to take over to Dr. Dale & Mrs. Helen's lovely home. Looking forward to fellowship with our sweet friends.

No comments: