IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Sunday, February 24, 2008

THE PRESSURE IN ON YOU, ERIE, PA!!!!!!

I hate to be the one to inform all of you Eri-tes, but the pressure is on! We are leaving Thursday afternoon to come to Erie to celebrate Bobby's 16th real birthday. Since Bobby was a Leap Year baby, he only has a "real birthday" every 4 years. The man has legions of friends and those friends always manage to make a "REALLY BIG DEAL" out of his birthday. We have had a succession of creative birthday parties during our years together. A "Cowboy Party", a child's party including toys, a party with all of the church kids we worked with on a memorable ski trip, and a "Belly Dancer" courtesy of his loving wife on his 40th-on I mean 10th. The man can make his birthday a big deal even on the off years, so the "Real Deal" is a full blow out. We will be in Erie Friday for the celebration of said birthday, along with a late celebration for our favorite son-in-law, Adam. I would not want you people in Erie to feel ANY PRESSURE-but the pressure is on! Seeing our sweet Camille and hubby, Adam will certainly help make it memorable, but it will be quite different in Erie, where no one knows Bobby much less when his birthday is. Coming from a town where almost everyone knows you and most know you are a Leap Year baby, that will be a big change. Different though can be good!

Bobby asked me what type of clothes he should take to Erie and I just looked at him with a blank look. He then asked about what kind of shoes he should take and once again the blank look. We have not had any 24 hour period this winter when we stayed below freezing. Even the coldest of days, warmed up to above freezing, so WHY WOULD I HAVE A CLUE!! Shoes-Shoes-why how would I know what kind of shoes you traipse around in the snow in? They don't sell a lot of snow boots at the local Wal Mart or Shoe Department, so I am clueless. You can buy all of the rubber boots you might every want, but I don't think the snow is the same as wading through the swamp. I hear that camo is "Big" in the frozen north of PA, and I know there is plenty of camo around here-but I am not sure if it is the "Super Cold" weather kind of camo. I really don't think we would look quite right with camo on anyway-just doesn't go with our personalities.

We are looking forward to a wonderful long weekend with The Jennings. Hopefully Camille will be completely recovered from her malady and will have killed all of the "germs" before we arrive. It wouldn't be a very good birthday present to send her Dad home with the stomach bug!

We walked 5 miles this afternoon. The great thing about walking is that you are never gasping for air-and therefore you can YAK it up the entire time. We managed to solve most of the world's problems and still get a little exercise!

7 comments:

Ann Miller said...

Y'all have fun!! I am sure Erie is excitedly awaiting, especially the baby girl and her husband! Happy Birthday to my favorite uncle!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

Just wear some bermuda shorts and hike your socks up to yer thighs cut a small slit between the big toe and the next toe so you can wear socks with yer flip flops. Put a couple of jalapenos in your pockets for hand warmers....you'll be good to go. Don't skitch in your flip flops though...could be dangerous. Don't forget to get a pepperoni ball or better yet.....get a taco ball...that is a taco inside a pepperoni ball. Y-U-M-O

Anonymous said...

Ok, but now I do feel pressure. I want you guys to like it there! haha I do have a few good restaurant suggestions if you need them. Hope you have a great trip! Don't forget to go to Wegman's bc its the best grocery store around.

Anonymous said...

Go to Sports Academy in West Monroe. They have some very inexpensive snow boots that are waterproof and very warm and comfy. Or, you can borrow mine if my foot isn't too big! What size do you wear?

NY Yankee Fan

Lora said...

NY Yankee Fan- 6/12 or 7-A MATCH?

Anonymous said...

They may be a 7. I'll look during my lunch hour and let you know.

NYY Fan--not a Yankee

Deb said...

Ok...this is not that tough. I wore platform sandals walking to class in Edinboro over four winters. (with socks of course!!)Platforms keep you up out of the snow...haha... I walked on sidewalks to class. On really bad days I had "chucka boots" with a vibram sole... but unless you are going to walk very far you can use sneakers. Just stay on the sidewalks!! When I met Jim all he had were loafers with smooth soles but he did fall a few times so avoid those. haha...sneakers oughta do ok.