IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Tuesday, February 5, 2008

MARDI GRAS 2008


Today ends the annual fesitval of excessiveness-Mardi Gras. While growing up, Mardi Gras was confined to the towns in south Louisiana. In the rural central and northern Louisiana, the pagan fesitval was completely ignored. As a sign of the blending of societal lines, Mardi Gras has slowly but surely moved north. Most of the larger towns in Louisiana now celebrate Mardi Gras to some extent. I personally have never been to a Mardi Gras celebration. I had just as soon stay at home and enjoy the warmth and comfort of my den, but I am glad that folks have the opportunity to attend local parades and balls. We tend to be much more sedate about our celebration in North Louisiana. As far as I know, there is noone flashing the float riders in order to get a few trinkets. Tonight at midnight the party ends and tomorrow begins the clean up. I wonder how the street cleaners in New Orleans feel about this annual celebration. Probably something along the line of -MORE WORK!


Tomorrow begins Lent with the celebration of Ash Wednesday. It is tradition to give something up or forego some pleasure during the period from Ash Wednesday to Easter. I have actually tried this in the past, but do not feel the need to do so today. This denial is to serve as a reminder of the passion and death of Christ. I think about that ultimate sacrifice every day and do not need anything to jog my memory. This sacred season of the church is a celebration of the final days of Christ in His earthly form and is an important reminder of the grace we have been gifted with. I personally think the celebration and party should be postponed and better celebrated Easter Sunday. What greater thing could we celebrate than the resurrection of our Lord and Savior. Many are out celebrating tonight thinking that this is the end of the party season. My personal belief is that everyday is a party and celebration knowing the gift of eternity was completed those many years ago. HAPPY MARDI GRAS !


1 comment:

Deb said...

When I was an Episcopalian....many years ago, I always gave up something for lent...a favorite candy, tv show, and one time I gave up talking...well, at least for Good Friday. I don't do this like I did as a kid, but maybe this year I should try it again. Deb