IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Sunday, February 3, 2008

BS

Did the title catch your eye? Naughty-Naughty! I am actually talking about my BS in accounting that I received all those many years ago. Thought you might like to know just how that happened.

I was a single mom with a job in a bank-not making much money at all, even after 3 years. I had to make a living and support my little family, but the money I was making and no financial help from anyone made this a struggle. It occurred to me one day that I was training the young men, fresh out of college, in their jobs at the bank. The fact that I trained them, while they started work making more money than I did not set very favorably with me. I decided I needed to try to finish my degree. I had finished 1 1/2 years of college when I got married and had a child, so there was 2 1/2 to go. I began school by trying a couple of night classes to get my feet wet and see if I could handle all the responsibility I would have. That went well, so after much thought, I made the plunge. Barbara was a tremendous help with baby sitting and I will be forever in her debt.

I went back to school in the fall of '71 with plans for an accounting degree and student loans to finance that education. I was able to get a job in the controllers office since I had banking experience and worked when I was not in class. I had no help from Momma and my step-father, Bill. In fact, Bill asked me did I know how long it would take me to make up the bank salary I would be foregoing once I got out of school. I was disappointed with their lack of encouragement, in fact discouragement, but stepped out anyway. I was dating Bobby by this time and he was very encouraging. He actually bought a small two bedroom trailer and put it by his parents house for Scott and I to live in while I was going to school. He has always been my champion and I will always be grateful for his encouragement. Once I had been in school for a few months, Bobby and I married and moved to Ruston. OK now I had added being a wife to my other jobs. I must have thought I had a few extra minutes in each day.

The next two years were difficult to say the least. Not much sleep while going to school, working and being a mother and wife, but I was young. When I graduated in May of 73, after taking as many hours and more as allowed every quarter, it was a great relief. I went to work for a local CPA and made up for the lost wages at the bank in about 6 months. During the 2 years I worked for Mr. Holladay, I learned much and even passed the CPA exam. Going back to school, as hard as it was, was the best decision I ever made. When I think back I am not sure how I was able to keep all those balls in the air, but I am thankful that God pulled me through it all.

I used that education well and was able to grow my own CPA practice into a very nice business that was financially very rewarding. There came a time to sell that practice and finish funding my retirement. I now enjoy retirement to the fullest, but one of the best decisions I ever made was to go back school and get that BS!

4 comments:

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

Good story...nice to hear triumph when all odds are against. My husband and I have a VERY similar story. It is sooooo much more rewarding (in my opinion) to see people that succeed with hard work and dedication and sacrifice unlike those that get everything handed to them. Plus, you are so much more grateful and thankful for the things you have and tend not to take anything for granted.

the Jennings secede from the South said...

You're an expert juggler!

Deb said...

I love the history lesson. Yes, I knew you were a visionary and you were smart. I believe you could and can do anything you set your mind to and you chose a great major with a definite future. About you training guys who would be making more $ than you would...that is the pits, but par. I would hope things have changed somewhat from the early 70's. I guess the female role was expected to be supportive, not an aggressive, competitive, co-worker.

Deb said...

I love the history lesson. Yes, I knew you were a visionary and you were smart. I believe you could and can do anything you set your mind to and you chose a great major with a definite future. About you training guys who would be making more $ than you would...that is the pits, but par. I would hope things have changed somewhat from the early 70's. I guess the female role was expected to be supportive, not an aggressive, competitive, co-worker.