IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Monday, August 20, 2007

Sweat!

I was raised by a mother that believed that "ladies" did not sweat. You have always heard that southern girls don't sweat they glisten. I am sure my mother would be horrified if she saw me after some of my workouts. I have friends that don't sweat much. Sandra will be a little damp around the edges, but she also does not require rehydrating. Babs only sweats from her waist down. Her legs will have rivers of sweat running down them, but her hair won't even be damp. Then you have the "REAL SWEATERS" like me. I start at the top and it quickly spreads down to my feet. By the time we have finished a workout, my hair is plastered to my head. I wear a visor, not to shed the sun, but to keep the sweat out of my eyes. I pour! My mouth becomes dry after a couple of miles, because I need to rehydrate. My shoes actually squish after long runs! There is Not One Thing ladylike about the way I sweat. I have to wring my dri-fit clothes out so they will dry before putting them in the laundry. IT IS GROSS! The only one that can top me in this department is our man, Larry. Now that boy can REALLY SWEAT!

We ran 5 from Hillcrest this AM and it was very humid, but not as hot as last week. Ironwoman, Sandra, did not let that rib get to her. She left me to eat her dust as she powered by me after about half the run. We then walked about 2 3/4 miles. How do I know the distance? I am glad you asked. Sandra found a sight for us that you can create and measure the routes you run. It is so cool. The only thing better is when I take my little orange wheel and actually measure them myself. NOT THAT I AM OCD ABOUT IT. I do not hit that timer on my watch anymore and that is a huge improvement. Although maybe I should, since I seem to be getting slower and slower.

I fluctuate between wanting to do the Houston Marathon and knowing I shouldn't. I have had a better than usual running week which makes me want to try, but I am not sure my hip can take the pounding of the training. It is never the marathon itself which is overwhelming, it is the 18 weeks of preparation. I will think about this tomorrow! I am definitely ON-to run the half at White Rock when Camille & Mary Lou do the whole. That marathon was not even a option for me since I do not have young legs-like those girls-and I don't have the weeks to train that I would need. Those young ladies should have NO trouble.

The Baptist have been cutting the trees on the hill behind our house. I am not happy with The Baptists! It is their property and they can do what they want with it, but I have grown very used to my seclusion and yard and hill behind it, full of trees. There are tree huggers and tree cutters in the world and The Baptist seem to be the latter.

1 comment:

Gabe said...

and so it was for your middle child as well, mwah mwah aahhh.

and now let me thank you for the gift that keeps on giving, from 13 till now.