IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Armadillos, WD-40 & Suicidal Worms








While on our hiking trip, we saw many ground squirrel towns which looked like scores of mounds of dirt in rows. The entire meadow would look like a mini ski mogul trail. My yard looks like that today, only it is pine straw and deep tatch which make up the mounds. Mr. Armadillo has been scrounging around looking for grubs. These lovely animals come in the dead of the night, but I occasionaly will see one when leaving in the wee hours of the morning. They have no fear of you and just continue on making a mess of your yard. It is not easy to keep this 4+ acres looking neat and natural. Mr. Armadillo is making that task even tougher!



About this time of the year, every year, we have a rash of earthworm suicides. It is very dry here and the ground has become moistureless. Poor Mr. Earthworm needs the moisture and on the constant hunt for that wet soil, he so loves. For some unknown reason, he climbs out of the ground and proceeds to crawl across the asphalt drive. This results in his demise and he becomes Mr. Dried Earthworm. We had a friend that went into the business of freeze drying worms for fish bait. Perhaps I should call him and offer the legions of worms on my drive everyday. I am not sure if they would make very good bait as they are definitely lifeless and certainly not plump, which is what I believe the fish love.

While walking our 5 miles this AM, we were discussing my hip and what could be wrong with it and what I should do about it. Friend Larry told me that his mother swore by WD-40 when Mr. Arthur came visiting her knees. She just sprayed a little on them and rubbed it in. We all got a good chuckle from this, but if you see me with a grease spot on the side of my pants- DON'T ASK!


I had good intentions to lift weights later today, but am in the process of stripping wall paper. NOW THAT IS A REALLY FUN JOB! It's not the top patterned piece that is the problem, it is the back paper which you end up having to pull off in little pieces. NO FUN!

For the couple of you out in cyberspace that have said you made a comment after my post, but it did not show, you must hit publish below the comment box or it will not show up. I have changed the comment set up and you should be able to comment without signing up. Remember, be careful what you say. You could be the subject of the NEXT blog.


1 comment:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

i think you should try the WD40 and report back