IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Monday, August 27, 2007

ME & MY BIG MOUTH!


I JUST CANNOT KEEP MY BIG MOUTH SHUT! Babs got out of her car this morning at 5:20 and quickly declared, "I've made a decision!" Well I am standing there thinking WHAT? Why so serious. She's not running anymore, she doesn't want to run with me, she's not going to Houston- WHAT????? Then she said-"I will not be going to the park ANYMORE." If I had just kept my BIG MOUTH shut, she would have never known about that snake. Larry tried to reassure her and I talked about they really were not after us, but she is pretty firm in her decision. She said she was awake last night thinking about that snake. WHY DID I FEEL THE NEED TO SHARE! I was alarmed, but we have snakes at our house and I have learned to share the earth with them. We usually kill the poisonous ones, but leave the others alone. The park is their home ground and we are the intruders, but you just have to watch where you put your feet. Maybe time will help cure this trauma. The park is such a good place to walk-many hills, trails very similar to the ones that we hike on, and just plain down right-beautiful-and oh yeah-MOST IMPORTANTLY-shady.
We ran our 5 this AM and then walked a mile. My legs seemed tired, but then I started thinking with the walking-5 on Friday, 11 on Saturday, 6 on Sunday, and 6 today. Maybe they should have been tired.
I am off on a road trip tomorrow. Driving my sweet friends, The Boersma's to Atlanta for a doctor's appointment. We will return on Thursday in an effort to not tire the good doctor out too much with too many miles in one day. I asked the good doctor did he have any NERVE pills for I am sure after 3 days with 2 women, HE WILL NEED THEM. I told Helen that I felt like-"Driving Miss Daisy" and laughed. She quickly retorted that she hoped Hope didn't have to get out and go the the bathroom behind a tree. Without a doubt, that is one of my favorite movies. Such a wonderful picture of life as we age and the sweet relationship that grew between a feisty old lady and her equally old driver.
IT'S ALL ABOUT RELATIONSHIPS-nothing else is really important-only those that we love and that love us.

7 comments:

Cynthia said...

Although I agree the park is lovely, I might've responded like Babs. I HATE snakes...it probably doesn't help that Ben Backus was in ICU not so long ago with his encounter with a water moccasin. Of course, he was actually IN the water! Y'all obviously aren't! Maybe she'll change her mind.

the Jennings secede from the South said...

ugh, how big was that snake? heebie jeebies. thats the good thing about the north!
we don't have to worry about snakes.

....bears on the other hand.

Lora said...

He was about 1 1/2 to 2 ft and FAT! Ugly sucker!

Moto Mama said...

I'm with Babs. Moccasins are agressive! I'll wait for a frost before I trek thru the LP Park again.

Moto Mama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cynthia said...

The sweet little children belong to my oldest and dearest friend, Claire Allman Smith.

My car is officially totaled. Let me know if you know of anyone selling an inexpensive good little used car:)

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).