IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Monday, August 13, 2007

Close Encounters of the Vienna Kind

Did you ever see "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" or "Signs". Remember the scene when the light is streaming in around the curtains and the entire house was shaking? Exactly what was happening in Downtown Vienna at 2:00 AM last night. I awoke with a start , sat straight up in bed and asked Mr. C, "What is that light?". The reply I get is, "It's the street light from the church." Now the entire room is lit up and we normally are so dark that you have to feel your way around to get out of bed. The bed is shaking and the noise is unbelievably loud. He then says, "Is that why you woke me up because of the streetlight?" Taking things into my own hands, I get up and go look out a couple of windows. I report back that there is a police car with lights flashing over at the church and there seems to be search lights beaming into our windows. He then says, "Do you want me to go get the gun?" I do not want a man that was so soundly asleep that he thought the street light was causing the bright glare in our room to be walking around with a gun! He finally looks out of the window and says they are working on the road. To avoid traffic, heat, or whatever the men that are building our new road are working at night. Last night they choose to complete the concrete in front of our neighborhood. The lights, noise, etc went on for a couple of hours before they moved on down the road. When I left the house at 5:15 this AM they were past the church, but the lights were so bright that you could barely see to pass by. Thankfully they finished that portion of the work early this AM.


This AM was a regular midweek 5 miler and today all the elements came together and we actually had a good run. This happens once in a blue moon, so I enjoyed the treat. We only stopped for water once and walked about a block at the interstate to enjoy the BEAUTIFUL sunrise. We walked another mile to cool down and enjoyed a great start to our week. Thank you Lord for the strength to enjoy a great run in your wonderful outdoors!


It is HOT! Check out this tempterature-and that does not include the heat index!
I saw this really neat special on TV yesterday about a guy named, Scott Williamson. He has hiked the Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Canada and back. They call that a yo-yo.(I personally call the yo-yo syndrome when you throw your kids out and they come back, etc. etc.) It took 10 months and he is in his 30's. That would be a really cool thing to do, but until they build Holiday Inn's to stay in every night along the way-I believe I will pass. What I don't understand is how someone can afford to do an adventure such as this. Does he not need any money for food, clothing, SHOES, etc. etc.? They said he had gotten married and his new wife is hiking the trail with him as a honeymoon. I will leave that alone, but I could have plenty to say on THAT TYPE OF HONEYMOON! Lying on the beach in a lounge chair with someone bringing me a drink when I raise my hand is my personal idea of a honeymoon. Stinky, Dirty-I said I would leave it alone and I will.

2 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

104?? the high was 78 here today

Cynthia said...

I totally thought about you the other night as I drove by your street on 167. It's like your cozy little neighborhood has been invaded by construction workers:)

As for the music, go to www.projectplaylist.com. It will tell you how to create your own playlist, then give you a code to put in the html section of your blog. Still confused?:)

And might I add how often I think about Camille in her lovely environment...soon it will be fall and I'll be facing some major withdrawals...there's nothing like watching the leaves burst into color! But I agree, the snow, although fun at first, will get old fast!