IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Tuesday, May 19, 2009

SUCKERS!

Once again the television networks have us all "Hooked" at the end of the season with their "Season Finale" for all of the weekly night time "Soap Operas". The air has been thick with the buzz from all those that weekly sit before their Boob Tube and watch the latest offering from the Big Networks. I have heard a blow by blow description of several of the "Reality-Contest" shows from friends. The faithful have sat transfixed as the "Big Climax" is shown for many of the sit-coms. You would think none of us had anything better to do!

Last night we went to Helen's to watch Fox Network's "24" year end two hour extravaganza. Apparently we had NOTHING better to do. The only redeeming grace is the recording feature that allows you to fast forward through the commercials. Debbie told me that "24" always has a clear ending and will not leave you hanging. SHE WAS WRONG! Just like with the first cliff hanger that I ever saw "Who Shot JR", we were left with plenty of questions about the future.

The first time I ever got hooked on a sit-com was the first year of "Dallas". When left hanging after JR's shooting, I was NOT HAPPY. I watched "Dallas" next year for the first episode to see if he died and who was the lucky shooter and then TURNED IT OFF! You would think I would learn!

Over the years I have had a few other sit-coms with "Soap" like characteristics, but usually grow bored and tired of them and stop watching. BC likes "24", so I began watching it in the middle of the season this year. It didn't take long (just like a soap) to catch on to the story and I have sporadically watched it this year. WE ARE ALL SUCH SUCKERS! They are going to leave you hanging so you will tune in next season.

The wonderful thing about "The Good Old Days" was the sit-coms had weekly episodes that were self contained and not on-going serial stories. Each could be watched independent of the others and enjoyed. I can flip over and watch a "Andy Griffith" or "I Love Lucy" and enjoy it without wondering who is who and what happened the last episode. They seem to have lost this concept in today's weekly offerings.

For this reason, I don't really have too many shows that I watch on television. I stay on the stock channel all day if I am inside and at night BC watches LOTS of news or a good movie. A couple of weeks ago in Worship our Pastor mentioned what colossal amounts of time we waste watching television. I have to agree and was pleased to note while in Erie that The Jennings do not have their television on 24/7. SMART PEOPLE!

So in a "Nutshell" if you want to know if Jack Bower lives after his daughter does the DANGEROUS stem cell transplant or if the "Evil Forces" that are plotting to overthrow the US government succeed, or if the President ends up a lonely women-YOU MUST TUNE IN AGAIN NEXT YEAR AT THE END OF SEPTEMBER AFTER ENDURING 5 MONTHS OF RERUNS! WE ARE SUCH SUCKERS!

8 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

oh too true...we get hooked in easily!

Jessica Stephenson said...

Chris has me watching 24 too. I got hooked not to long after the beginning (he had borrowed the DVD series). The only plus, is that I am guaranteed a foot rub throughout the whole show when I sit down and watch it with him!

Hannah Lee said...

I could not even think about calling Nick during that time when 24 was on. He is majorly hooked. Me? I am not so much and therefore that does not make me a sucker :)

Ann Miller said...

when we were all wondering who shot jr, lewis' had a contest...you had to guess who did it and whoever won got a gift certificate...the box to drop your guess in was on the porch...isn't it crazy that i remember that???

i do love the dvr feature...i can enjoy my grey's w/o the commercials!

Anonymous said...

SO...You are not the LEAST impressed that I voted for Kris on Idol about 80 times last night, huh??

Only because Amy told me I had to vote for the "Hometown Boy"...Man...Biggest Loser is over, Survivor is over, Dancing WT Stars is over, IDOL will be over tonight...what's a girl to do????
Back to my favorite back-up--TVLAND!

C Ya Tomorrow! GOOSIE

David "Dutch" Boersma said...

No cliff hangers on the History Channel...
Well, there might be but you can always just go look it up and find out what happened and for my money, far more entertaining.

db

Deb said...

Well, I lied, they are never tied up with a perfect bow, but it is usually better than this one was!!! I talked to someone who thought it was a great ending and what was I b$%&^g about! haha

I was right about Aaron tho... true blue til the end!

Jessica...no fair....a foot rub!!! I would watch boxing for a foot rub!

....And after Jack called in his confessor...well, I may skip next season.

freakface said...

Yes, but did you totally fall for the John & Kate Plus 8 hogwash and watch the opener over the weekend as a result?