IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Saturday, May 23, 2009

MARY, MARY, QUITE CONTRARY!

I have been meeting with "Gardener Extraordinaire", Susan Tuten for the past week. Her business is Sweet Olive Gardens and I must say she is a proverbial FOUNTAIN OF INFORMATION. I thought I knew quite a bit about gardening, but it is always great to have a fresh perspective and new ideas.

One of Susan's suggestions was to paint all of my garden furniture black so that it would "disappear". WHO KNEW! I had stone colored furniture since it sits on top of the stone thinking that would make it disappear. After a full day of spray painting-she is correct. It all looks great.

We have a big project scheduled beginning this weekend. In essence we are transforming the front beds into a "feast for the eyes". Moving existing plants and replacing with plants and flowers that will provide year round color is the plan. A new bed at the front of the house, more stone paths, and a BIG change to the front patio are all in the mix.

I have spent this past week adding to and pulling together the beds on the west side of the house. Visiting the Shade Nursery, planting the new plants, moving garden furniture, painting the same furniture, moving and repairing a fountain. In short Susan's wonderful ideas may well work me to my grave! BUT OH WILL IT BE WORTH IT!

Pictures will come when we finish-but NOW YOU KNOW WHY I HAVE BEEN EXHAUSTED!

2 comments:

Ann Miller said...

sounds awesome!! ms. susan is great at that! i didn't know she had a business. good for her...and for your yard!

Hannah Lee said...

Sounds like so fun! All I did was add some lighted-stringed laterns to our back porch and I love it! Outside spaces really should just be an extension of your inside ones.