IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Wednesday, December 31, 2008

THE GOOD, THE BAD, & THE UGLY

I reread my post from last year end and thought-What a difference a year can make. While reflecting and pondering, I decided I would try to divide the year into the three categories from one of my favorite Western Movies-
"The Good, The Bad & The Ugly"- rings profound, doesn't it?

The Good-

God has taught me some very valuable lessons. He is drawing me closer and teaching me His faithfulness and love for me. I am so thankful for His sustaining presence in my life.

A new grandson is on his way. What a blessing to not only know that a sweet "Grand" is coming in the Spring, but that his Mother & Daddy are so happy. It always does my heart good to be with that sweet couple.

A FABULOUS Birthday Party given by my "Running Buddies". I have never had anything nicer done for me. Crossing that bridge and entering into the 60's, especially as an athlete, is a little frightening, but "The Girls & Larry" managed to make it more fun than a "Barrel of Monkeys". It is truly a great blessing to have friends that love you unconditionally and pray for you without question. They have been there through good times and bad.

A great trip to the Beach with "All My Children & Grands" and our dearest friends, The Tompsons along for the fun in the sun. My children and grandchildren are God's greatest gift-beyond His grace. They are the light in my eye and the reflection from my soul. I love them all dearly and treasure each moment with them. The Thompsons have been our friends since before we were married. We have shared it all with them. God has taken us and grown us up together and matured us into His Children. We are blessed that he drew us together and kept us together all of these years. How many can say they have friends they have vacationed with for more than thirty years. A Rare Blessing!

A "Great Hiking Adventure" which included daily bear sightings, magnificent scenery, and even a up-close and personal Bear encounter. How anyone could ever hike through those glorious mountains and question there being a God is beyond me.

Another Marathon under my belt. Many miles running and working out and remaining healthy. A great thing considering my age.

Growing closer to our small group as we grow spiritually together. Our small group are also our social friends. We love them all and enjoy their friendship. Many lively and productive Biblical discussion and lots of Friday night fellowship-definitely a Good.

The Bad-

Our friend, Dale, has continued to decline. The physical and emotional strain upon his family has been difficult to watch. A Great Man Of God, it saddens my heart to watch this journey.

A special friend that has gone through an extremely difficult season. Days have drug into weeks and weeks into months as the path has been trod. Feeling helpless when your friend is in pain is not easy.

Friends lost and gone on to Eternity, friends struggling with illness, friends in emotional pain, friends in martial crisis, and the list goes on. My expectation of life becoming easier with age has been crushed under the weight of "Living Life".

The Ugly-

It does no good to dredge up the ugly. The ugly will always be a hole in my heart and a scar upon my soul. The ugly deserves nothing but Good Riddance 2008!

The list seems to be heavily weighted on the Good Side and for that I am thankful. I would not care to relive 2008, but I came away wiser and surely older. Come on 2009-I am expectant and prepared-give me your best shot!


HAPPY NEW YEAR, FRIENDS!



5 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

What a blessing that you can see the good outweighing the bad! 2009 is going to be a great year! Baby Jennings is coming!!!

Anonymous said...

It was a very eventful year! 'Nuf said. Looking forward to 09 and learning more. I have several things on my "bucket list" in 2009 to get accomplished. (although marathon is NOT one of them)

Chrome Cowgirl

Hannah Lee said...

Looks like your good has definetly surpassed the bad. You are beautiful inside and out! I know you will take 2009 by the horns!

Unknown said...

Relieved that you didn't post a photo of Bobby for "the ugly!"

Ron White

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

AMEN to the Ugly......it is outta here in 2009!!!!!!!!!!!