IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Saturday, December 6, 2008

SATURDAY STRIP TEASE!







Early this AM, in the dark, and in the REALLY COLD, we ran our weekly 10 mile long run. It was 27 degrees when we started. Thank goodness all of the wind has abated! To run in this frigid (for us Southerners) temperatures, it requires plenty of planning and lots of layers of clothing. I have found if I can keep my core warm it serves to keep me warm. This leads to lots of layers on top. I wear my smart wool socks and one layer of long running pants on the bottom-the business end of the run. The top is totally different. I started with a dri-fit short sleeve, went with a dri-fit long sleeve, and topped that off with a fleece. Two pairs of gloves and a knit headband rounded off this lovely ensemble.

It was cold today-so I didn't start pulling off until about 2 miles into the run-when off came the headband. Another couple of miles and off comes the fleece. At about mile 6, one pair of gloves came off. It would make a great candid camera video to see this strip going on as we run through and around downtown Ruston. There was the day that I would leave clothes in the bushes all over town and have to go back later to get them. I have all that worked out now and just keep them on my person. I wonder what people thought when they saw a blue fleece growing out of the top of an azalea bush. I STILL will take this over the 80 degree-100% humidity days of summer!

One of our Runners-Steph- is training for a half-marathon with her daughter, Jessica. How insulting to find out the name of the race is "Disney Princess Half-Marathon". GOOD GRIEF-that sounds just a little over the top. I found out this AM from another runner that all of the runners in this half wear a tiara while running. OH WOULD I LOVE A PICTURE OF THAT! Steph is not your "Tiara" type-BUT-I plan to get that picture and get whatever I want from her by threatening posting on the WWW. We have seen some REAL sights while running marathons-but a huge group of runners all wearing tiaras may be the ULTIMATE!










2 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

Oh Mom...if baby Jennings wasn't cooking, you and I could totally tiara it up!

Deb said...

Now a tiara is incentive! If runners always got to wear one I might have to hit the roads.