IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Wednesday, December 17, 2008

ANOTHER BIG ONE!!!!!!!!!




Well I have topped the hill, hit the slippery slope and gone over the edge into the World of the 60's. HOW IN THE WORLD DID THIS HAPPEN? 60 is "OLD". I always thought that people in their 60's were one step from the grave. It is time to make an appointment for my cataract surgery, to get a good pair of support hose, and order my hearing aids. I need to work on my obsession with bodily functions and get on a daily dose of Metamucil. I have noticed that my dinner time has slowly crept up over the years, and now I can officially know what senior citizen meal times are.




In honor of this big day, I will be making a tour of all of the local Nursing Homes to inspect their facilities in anticipation of being "Put Away". While out I may run by the Funeral Home and discuss pre-planning. WHO IN THE WORLD wants to pre-plan their funeral anyway? I will not be here and will not care! I also will run by the cemetery and see if I can find a lot with a view (as IF!) and maybe even look at a monument or two. I should have a busy day.




While making all these plans and arrangements for my "Official Old Age", I am also fitting in arranging for tomorrow's run. Today was our day to run and I was looking forward to a little "Birthday Five Miler" with my buds. I got up at early thirty and went to the other end of the house (don't want to wake BC) to see if it was still raining. I never trust the sounds, since we are in the midst of all these trees, so I turn on the light and open the back door to make SURE it is raining. It is-so back to bed I go. About the time I get in the bed, I hear my cell phone which is in the other end of the house. Back up I go, to talk with Babs & agree it is indeed raining. By the time I get back in the bed this time, it is TOO late I am good and awake. I should have just run in the COLD RAIN! So now we have to make up for today and get up again tomorrow. While I am out making my Nursing Home run, I need to be sure and ask if I will be allowed to have a pass to go for my morning runs. NOT EVEN THE NURSING HOME will stop that ritual.




So I have crossed the bridge and entered another decade. I must say I feel no different physically. I do not run as fast as I could at one time and maybe cannot lift quite as heavy weights, but I am still getting after the exercise. I can still keep our yard-maybe not as fast-but I still do the work. I really cannot think of anything I cannot do now. Perhaps age is a mind thing after all. All I can tell you for certain is that I pretty much feel the same as I did yesterday when still in my 50's and even 10 years ago in my 40's.




I thanked God today for Momma and Daddy and their love for me after bringing me into the world. I have always been blessed and the best blessing has been God's faithful love for me-even beyond reason through good and especially through the bad. I am Blessed!




Happy Birthday, Old Girl!

14 comments:

jackie said...

Joined the 60 club, did ya! I turned the big 6-0 in June and can't say as I feel any different either, thank the good lord for that! Have a great day. Would love to visit with you sometime!

adrian seney said...

Happy Happy Birthday......you are loved by the Seneys!!!

SND said...

Your friends are the ones that are blessed. Happy Birthday, friend. Looking forward to tomorrow night...we will try and behave!!! And yes, guess who did get and run this morning!??! Never saw another soul the whole time I was running. That should tell me something, huh??

the Jennings secede from the South said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM! lOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Lora! I don't think there is a nursing home on this continent that could keep track of you!!!! They would have to install an invisible fence and put a shock collar on you to keep you in check! That's why we love you.

Enjoy your day!

Susan B.

Anonymous said...

BEST MOM EVER?!!? Love you!

no.2

Hannah Lee said...

THRIFY NIFTY AND SIXTY! You are the perfect example of what I want to look at when I am 60! Be proud! Yall have fun tomorrow night! So glad you are in my life!

Ann Miller said...

well, well, well...a birthday, huh? since becoming a mother i think it is amazing how quickly my children age, while i just float along in time...ageless. so, happy happy day, and may the celebration continue long after others would call it quits...

Deb said...

Like they say...it beat the alternative, right? Your physical and mental age is differnet from the chronilogical age deal...so don't sweat it. Like I said...you are younger than some 35 year olds I know!

Cynthia said...

So I ran into your good friend, Sandra this afternoon AFTER I saw you at Starbucks! She filled me in that today is your birthday and I about fell over! I haven't seen you in months and I run into you on your birthday...and I didn't even know! I look forward to hanging out with you after the holidays! Happy Birthday, dear friend!

Elisha Leigh said...

Happy Birthday Aunt Loralu!
Age is just a mind game- I'm pretty sure you will always eat dinner at 5:30, just like I remember you did fifteen years ago!
So, here's to another fifteen!
Love you much!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to you dear friend and remember social security is just 5 years away. there are things to look forward to in this life of the aged and it is lots of fun. h

David "Dutch" Boersma said...

You have much to share with those of us who are younger (much younger) like telling us what it was like before dirt.

Let's see...
Top 6 list for 60
6. $0.97 for a burrito and drink at Taco Bell
5. Discounts at the movies
4. No questions on 7:30 bedtime
3. volume discounts on doctor visits
2. 60 is actually 16 Celcius (so happy sweet 16)
1. You're a Sexagenarian (sounds good to me)

Jessica Stephenson said...

I hope it was a great day and that you continue celebrating throughout the rest of the week.