IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Thursday, December 11, 2008

CHRISTMAS LIGHTS IN THE DARK NIGHT!

Martha Wannabe has finished the Christmas decorating after 10 days. Hopefully it will not take 10 days to get it all put away in January! I thought we would begin the holiday tour with the night time look of all of the lights and then in days to come I will give you daytime close ups.

Our slender-fit in a corner -NOT REAL Christmas tree. After MANY MANY trips to pick out a real Christmas tree at the Tree Farm, I ended the last few years by having to go alone to get the tree. NOT MUCH FUN AT ALL-especially when I had to cut the tree and drag it out of the woods BY MYSELF. I ended up giving in and buying an artificial tree. The pine scent is now artificial and JUST NOT THE SAME, but the tree is up and decorated with no needles falling under it.
My theme for decorating and BC's office Christmas Party is "Christmas in the Vienna Woods". This is new this year and includes snowmen, woodland animals, trees, and Santa & his sleigh all lighted by spots from above.


The mantle is slightly changed with the ornaments hanging from the garland all being outdoor-woodland themed. The train and car to the right are new this year and all lighted. The wreath is one I sent CC when she was at Baylor and is a sweet reminder of her.

I have a bird tree every year. This year I bought this artificial topiary and added feathers and birds. In he past I have used real trees or stick trees, but this may be the easiest to pull off.


When you come in the front door this is what you see. Greenery, sticks and pine cones are a constant when you live in the woods.

The front lamp and post are decorated with the greenery that I cut while in the ditch on the side of 167. I suppose people must get used to seeing me foraging for decorations in ditches and other weird places. I always find the nicest things in the ditch!


The live wreath by the front door. You keep it fresh by giving it a spritz of water every day or so.

The arbor is draped in lights and the luminaries light the walk and the stone wall in front of the house.
The kids' tree house is full of lights which you see out of the back windows.

Lastly is the tree on the deck. The tree is visible from the inside as well as through the woods from the road that winds in front of our home. I am sure it makes a warm sight on a cold night. I also have two small trees in upstairs windows that show from the road, but they are too far away to get a good picture.
There you have the nighttime lights at The Convilles. Stay tuned for a room by room tour of what has been done to prepare for Santa's visit and celebrate The King's birthday.









6 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

WOW! I wish I could see it in person, good job Mom! You are the Martha of all!

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Lora- I am so impressed!! NO wonder it took you 10 days!!

Anonymous said...

Looks great!

no. 2

Hannah Lee said...

Everything looks so festive! Looks like Santa is ready to come visit you!

Elisha Leigh said...

I can hardly wait to see it with my own eyes! See you tomorrow!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

Very nice....I have a bird tree also....in the guest bedroom.