IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Tuesday, December 30, 2008

EVERY SOUTHERN TOWN!



Some say that "Every Southern town has character", but others say , "Every Southern town has at least one character." Ruston is no exception on both counts!

Bert drives the vehicle pictured above (photos courtesy of Sheila-THANKS!). Since these are all shots of the front, I need to tell you about the door that is held closed with a hinge and padlock. Sheila said:"Also a rubber snake with a pacifier on roof of passenger side & small rubber alligator on driver side roof. "

We often see Bert on his way to Super One when we are running VERY early in the morning. Why he goes that early, I am not sure. You also see Bert at the grocery sometimes several other times of the day. Why, I DO NOT KNOW! He obviously enjoys the grocery a great deal more than I do. He rides one of those little motorized carts since he has some leg issues. If you strike up a conversation with him, he will talk to you until you walk off. Quite the interesting character!

He is my SIL's cousin and a childhood friend of Buddy, Sandra. You need to be very careful of what you say about anyone in a small town. They could be related or a good buddy of the person that you are unloading to about them. When he sees Sandra, he HONKS AND HONKS! She told me yesterday that he is very distressed because his horn does not work anymore. IMAGINE-something on Bert's car not working!

Ruston is a beautiful little Southern town with quite a bit of charm and character and also it's fair share of "Characters.!

4 comments:

Hannah Lee said...

Oh My Gracious! Good to know that you all know this guy! I see him all the time at Super One! It really is a small town! His car has the most interesting items on it! Cute cute post!

SND said...

Saw Greg tonight and told him that his car made a blog today. He smiled so big....you just made his day for sure!!!!

the Jennings secede from the South said...

How did I not know Bert? I must've missed him during my 18 years in Ruston!

Anonymous said...

Actually his name is Greg. His sign on the front says "Son of Big Bert". He's a very nice fella & I enjoyed talking with him. I love seeing him and his car in town because it just makes me smile!

Chrome Cowgirl