IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Friday, August 6, 2010

TROUBLE ON THE PONDERROSA

Another night of 4 AM awakenings! This morning I awoke to find Mr. Possum in the trap. OH OH! Now I have no quarrel with Mr. Possum. He does no damage to the homestead. The problem I am here pondering, as BC sleeps, is what to do? If you've never encountered a possum, let me tell you about their charming personalities. They are snarlers and have LONG SHARP teeth. How to get him out of the trap without risking life and limb is a problem. What to do-what to do?

This reminds me of a possum story from my days as a young girl. Back in the OLD DAYS, we burned our garbage in 50 gallon drums everyday and the "Garbage Men" came once a week and emptied the ashes and hauled them off. We kept the lid on the can at an angle-so the fire would burn and the rain wouldn't put it out. One of my jobs everyday was to take out the garbage and set it on fire. MANY MANY a time, I walked the long walk to the drum, lifted the lid to find Mr. Possum SNARLING up at me. I would scream and throw the garbage can strewing garbage all over and high tail it to the house. Momma--ever the soul of sympathy would tell me to march back out there and clean up that mess!

Well at least it isn't a skunk!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wait until that skunk gets in the trap!

Chrome Cowgirl