IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Friday, January 2, 2009

THROUGH THICK & THROUGH THIN!

Our dear and long time friends, The Thompsons are coming up from the South for an overnight visit. I am sitting here remembering the long years of our relationship and thanking God for such a blessing. We have vacationed together since #2 was 6 months old-#2 is now 32. Prior to the vacations beginning, they were our friends before we even married. Mark worked at the bank with BC and me. I actually trained Mark so that he could then be promoted above me, since HE WAS A MAN and HAD A WIFE (HELLO, I WAS A SINGLE MOM!) When I finally clued in and went back to college-beginning with night classes, Barbara would pick #1 up at Day Care and take care of him until I got out of class. I stayed with Barbara while Mark was at Guard Camp the summer she was great with child. She stayed with my boys after # 3 was born and then when I came home. She & BC claim to have single handily saved #3 when she quit breathing for a short period of time her first night home. I have since read that this occurs in many babies, and they usually begin again on their on, but some do not-thus SIDS. I am grateful that they had her in the den together and jumped into action.

We have laughed together-a lot! We have talked through our trials and miseries-many times. We have cried together. We have mourned together. We have raised children and grandchildren together. The 200 mile separation has never stopped us from our long talks, shared wisdom & prayer requests. There will never be anyone else quite like The Thompsons in our lives. What a blessing!

We will pick up where we left off at Thanksgiving and never miss a beat. Good food, good times & good fellowship-WHAT more could you ask?

We ran 11 miles this AM in the pea soup. Babs kept getting faster and I kept getting slower-but I finished. Longest run since last January's marathon. Time to start building up that endurance again-OH WHAT FUN!

3 comments:

Hannah Lee said...

How wonderful to have such great life-long best friends! I know you guys have enjoyed sharing many moments of joy together!

the Jennings secede from the South said...

Aw, I love Aunt Barbara & Uncle Mark...go to beach.

Deb said...

Sounds like it was predestined that you all be long time buds!