IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Tuesday, January 13, 2009

MY OWN HORROR MOVIE

It has been a chilly day here in Louisiana. We had a cold front blow in from the North and our high today was in the 50's and the low tonight will be 27. This allows for me to have my beloved fire burning all day. One of my jobs is to load up the log trolley and bring the wood to the back door for easy access.

Tonight when I threw one of those logs onto the fire, it seems that some type of insect had a nest in one end of the log. Obviously there was a hallow hole that they crawled into when the weather turned cold. All was well until I threw that log into the flames-OUT POURED all of these big ant looking-maybe some type of spider insects. It was like "The Attack of the Fire Insect"! I have spent the last 30 minutes alternately trying to burn them and smash them. I have killed MANY of the little crawlers-mercilessly. Hopefully I have gotten all of them-but I've got my eye out and my shoe ready!

This reminds me of the varmints that friends, Jim & Debbie, have been fighting. The squirrels have been chewing on their new deck furniture. I loaned Jim my live trap to catch those little nuisances and then take them off. Debbie, the Librarian, got on the Internet and found out that if you take them off their chances for survival are not good. Not let's see-they would shoot them and kill them, but it is illegal to discharge a firearm in the city limits. Plan #2 is the live trap and taking them off, but Debbie is concerned that they will not survive. I told her my philosophy is "That is their problem!" As long as they are not a nuisance its live and let live, but when they start destroying property-BEWARE of the Squirrel Trap!

Got to go get out several layers of clothes for tomorrow's run. Friday's run will start with the temperature at 19-BURR! That is COLD for this old Southern Girl!

6 comments:

Elisha Leigh said...

I just got goosebumps!!!
Love you! elj

Hannah Lee said...

I instantly began to itch when you said that all those bugs poured out! Yuck! I would be freakkkking out! Hope all is well now. Happy Ant Hunting!

Deb said...

I had a bug experience like that once and I heard one of them scream as it burned! I still have nightmares about that.... as for the squirrels, I keep telling Jim that "squirrels are people, too". I don't really believe that, but I do believe they are just trying to survive this cruel world and as much as I hate having them around I don't like messing up their world either. I just want us all to be happy. "Can't we get along?"

Anonymous said...

You KNOW we have some TWO champion squirrel dogs at our house.

They would have no problem treeing those little buggers.

However, the dogs' feelings get hurt if they go to all the trouble to tree the squirrel for you, and you don't SHOOT IT!!

So....I guess that idea won't fly either! Just a thought!

Goose Creek

Anonymous said...

Do I need to come take care of those squirrels? You're right, when they start damaging property, it's all over! They can hang out until then. (hint hint .177 caliber)

Chrome Cowgirl

Bethany said...

I got the chills just reading your post and now my skin is crawling.