IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Tuesday, January 27, 2009

AMERICAN IDOL

BC is asleep on the couch taking his favorite early evening nap before staying up for most of the night. He has the remote control in his "hot little hand", so the television is on the channel he was watching. American Idol has been on and I have been watching the contestants that are trying out for the competition. I have sat here pretty amazed that most of these people put themselves through this.

There a a handful that are really talented, BUT the most of them CANNOT sing. What is the deal? Can these people not hear themselves? When I say cannot sing-I mean cannot carry a tune, cannot sing on key, have no rhythm-on and on. Do they not have friends or family that are honest with them? Why would you let your loved one embarrass themselves like this?

I was reminded of the time that we went to see Mary Lou in a beauty contestant. One of the girls got up and sang and the only description that covers her efforts is a tom cat screeching in the middle of the night. Think of the sound of someone running their fingernails on the black board. PAINFUL! Yet on the front row sat her Mother lipping the song as her daughter embarrassed herself on the stage. Obviously she thought it was beautiful. Perhaps love is not only blind, but also deaf.

We ALL would love to be able to sing. It is a wonderful talent and we are all touched by a beautiful voice. Do us all a favor if you don't realize that you do not have a singing voice, record yourself and listen. Don't embarrass yourself and then get mad because you know you are great. How humilating must it be for the entire television watching nation to know that you cannot sing? Give us a break!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you....I recorded myself on my phone once...decided NEVER would I ever sing a solo again!!!!!!!!!!!



Goose Creek

Anonymous said...

I can't even watch that show! I'm just too embarrased for them. I think I know of the girl you're speaking of. When I heard her sing, all I could think about was a female Alfalfa from the Little Rascals--WITH A LISP!

Chrome Cowgirl

Anonymous said...

ha! Glad my pageant days could provide you with some not-so-pleasant talent memories :) I think my favorite was the girl that did Karate as her talent and broke wooden boards over her head!