IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Thursday, June 26, 2008

SUMMER SHOWERS

Summer invariably brings occasional late afternoon showers. After a full day of Gulf breezes drawing moisture into our clouds and the sun heating heating the atmosphere, all of a sudden you will see on the Southern horizon a dark gray cloud. The wind blows, the lightning cracks, and the thunder rumbles announcing the arrival of a Louisiana thunderstorm.

Getting rain during one of these showers is a roll of the dice. In may be pouring down rain in town, 3 miles South and dry as a bone here. Tuesday we had the blowing and rumbling and cracking but alas, we had 14 drops of rain to fall. Yesterday, the heavens were filled with the fury of a well gathered storm and we had 6 inches of rain in about 2 hours. Today the heavens are rumbling all around me and the wind is blowing the trees to and fro, but No Rain!

Rain is a good thing-A VERY GOOD THING-in Louisiana in the summer. It waters the sun baked ground and plants and always cools things off-at least temporarily. We will take temporary-much better than never!

Tomorrow begins the annual Louisiana Peach Festival in Ruston. Go here for all the fun details. We are leaving tomorrow on our annual trek to the beach for the Thompson/Conville Family Vacation. We will miss all the fun, but if you are in Ruston-eat some peach ice cream for me!

We walked this AM after Sandra & Babs swam. I cannot find my water wings-so I did not get into the pool.

CHECK TOMORROW-NEW CONTEST-DIFFERENT RULES -GREAT PRIZE!

6 comments:

B-HO said...

WELL I CAN TESTIFY TO IT RAINING DOWNTOWN THIS AFTERNOON CUZ I HAVE A SOAKED DRESS TO PROVE IT.... None the less that did not deter me from hitting up the Peach Festival Sidewalk sales!!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

I love storms and I am sick of not getting any here.

Lindsey said...

I hope ya'll have a blast on your vacation. I know Camille is looking forward to it. I told her to call me, but not to tell me too much b/c I will get really jealous. HAVE FUN!

Deb said...

I wish we could go to the Peach Festival...heavy sigh. Make sure to visit Randi's booth in Railroad Park! I hate to be missing that, too!!!!

Anonymous said...

You write so expressively. I am there, where ever you are writing about. I taste the rain and feel the wind.

B

the Jennings secede from the South said...

We had a big storm last night, too. I like a summer storm so long as it doesn't interfere with my playing.