IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Tuesday, June 3, 2008

LOST A DAY!

I lost a day today to"The James Allergies". I suffered with allergies the entire time I was in Erie, but thought it was due to the new pollen from all of the plants that are blooming there. There blooming season is about 2-3 months behind the Louisiana season. Could it be due to the cold weather there? When I got up this morning, I was in "Allergy Misery". Swollen and itching eyes and so congested that I could not breathe through my nose. I began doctoring myself as soon as I got up-eye drops, zyrtec, benedryl, and a clariton. I finally fell into a "Drug Induced" slumber for 3 hours this afternoon. I didn't let the stopped up nose stop me from walking 5 miles with Babs & Sandra. In case you don't know-IT IS HOT IN LA!

Took a little stroll around the yard late this afternoon to check the status of my plants. The miniature gardenias in the back yard are in full bloom as shown above. Both beds are at their peak and will soon begin fading.
The new day lily in the front yard has its first bloom as shown above. I have 3 new day lilies and will enjoy these blooms.

The lantana that I did not jerk up, as shown above has begun to take over the place. It will not be long before I will have to start cutting it back, but for now the butterflies are LOVING IT!


These are Lilies of the Nile or African Lilies. They are probably just past peak, but still beautiful and on both sides of the front bed.



This is the first caladium bulb peaking through the straw. I SO MISSED pine straw in Erie. It just gives your beds such a clean and neat look.





I would not want you to think all is perfect. The above is an example of the weeds that have show their heads in the beds. Tomorrow will bring some weed pulling. We have hit the watering the plants and yard period early this year. It is normally not so dry this early and that is not a good sign of what is to come for the rest of the summer.
It is good to be home-Allergies or not! Thank goodness for anithistamines!




5 comments:

adrian seney said...

Little Abby suffers from the "James Allergies", too. She is on Allegra, but her nose STILL runs! Andrew told me Madeline woke up the other day and could not open her eyes from all the gook. She is now on Zyrtec. Poor babies! I hope you feel better soon.

Ann Miller said...

have you ever put newspaper in your beds to prevent/deter the weeds? we tried it this year. we'll see what happens...

Lora said...

Ann-Let me know about the newspaper. I had a nursery guy tell me that the plastic did not work, so you will see about the papers. At least they biodegrade and you don't find pieces of plastic for years.

Adrian-Allen Herbert told me that Zyrtec works the fastest and when I had an allergy attack to take it first. Hope that doesn't step on Sister Ann's Drug Companies Toes!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

Yeah, I don't get the pine straw thing......they do that here also. NEVER saw it before. Our neighbors were putting it in their beds last fall and I was looking at them wondering WHY they were spreading it in their yard as opposed to raking it up and putting it out for the trashman hahaha.

Lovely flowers.

I braved the outdoors this morning at 10:00 w/18 month old in tote for a 3 mile walk....the sun was not out....cloudy today so I figured it was all good....i came back looking like I had a shower....hot hot hot and HUMID...save me dear jesus!

Deb said...

I have been bad (watery eyes...sneezing) lately so we changed out the filter in the air conditioner....my problem is probably too much time in the dusty library. I need some FRESH air and some sun!!!!!!