IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Wednesday, January 2, 2008

WARMING MY BUNS!

In case you have not noticed, IT IS COLD OUTSIDE! Only in Louisiana can it be in the 20's today and by Saturday in the 70's. Southerns must have the best thermostats known to man. We have to for you never know from moment to moment what the temperature will be. We ran at 5:30 this AM and the temperature on my car was 27 degrees, but the WIND CHILL was in the low 20's. You really felt alright until you turned north or west and the wind hit you in the face. I had every square inch covered, except my face and I had lathered it up with moisturizer. THAT WAS NOT ADEQUATE! I wore a knit headband to cover my ears and had the hunter's warmers in my double gloves. The wind though was biting! The remarkable thing is that you still sweat, even though it is so cold. When I took the headband off, my hair was wet and the bottom layer of my three tops was wet. I AM NOT COMPLAINING THOUGH-IT IS NOT 80 degrees and 100% humidity. As we were running, Babs said, "Well, at least it is not raining." I replied, "It wouldn't be rain, it would be sleet." I am not sure how my com padres in the Frozen North, face this kind of weather day after day. For one thing it takes an additional 5 or 10 minutes to put on all of the needed layers. I am used to rolling out of the bed and slipping into shorts and a top and shoes and out the door. I am thankful for Louisiana weather, even on a frigid day.

BC had my fire burning when I got home and I have made it my task in life today to keep it going. I am currently sitting in my favorite chair right by the fire with the right side of my face glowing. AAAAAAAHHHHH!

This is the time of the year that before I retired would send me into the "burning stomach syndrome". Tax season was a VERY DIFFICULT time in life, not just for me, but for my entire family. I began working long hours early in January and they did not cease until April 15th. Every Saturday was a work day and some Sunday afternoons. I am not sure how I balanced family and work with that kind of work load, but I have always had a good partner when it came to the kids. The really bad part is that BC has always worked long hours, so it could get PRETTY complicated. We survived and our kids seemed to have survived, hopefully with few scars. Thank you Lord and thank you Bobby, that I do not have to even think about that anymore. What a relief!

We are closing in on the marathon. Travel plans are being made and I am sweating the National Weather Service everyday waiting for that first glimpse of the Houston weather for the 13th. I have done all I can do at this point in time. I have run every scheduled run, except the 5 mile run I missed this Monday. I have cross trained, I have worked out my goo schedule, and hydration schedule. All that is left to do is "run the marathon" That sounds so easy when you say it. As always I am pretty apprehensive since you have the 6 hour time limit. Always before there was a long time limit or no time limit, so you knew, if worse came to worse, you could walk it in. (Which both times I ended up doing) This is a new pressure. If you look up the results and you see DNF by my name, DO NOT ASK! I will not want to talk about it or explain it. As I told Bobby when I found I was unexpectedly pregnant, "Don't mention it to me until I bring it up again." I will not be a "happy camper". What was I thinking when I signed up to do this??????????






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are bad a-- and an inspiration! I am proud of you!!
LOVE-Ann

Anonymous said...

LC, I was freezing as I went in for breakfast duty this am and I remembered back to spending all day skiing or sled riding when I was a kid...and many times it was even colder. We never let it phase us at all. I was wondering how we did it. I was thinking it was the talent of very young humans... so..that makes you the youngest friend I have! Deb

P.S. I am so glad you are out of the tax rat race and into other types of races. Much healthier.

Anonymous said...

you go Lora I am rooting for you -you will do it and what an accomplishment! I somehow wished I had started running earlier in life and I think it is training in character for us all. I guess that is if you run you are trained. Oh well I will run in my dreams or maybe in heaven. Paul says He has run the race and finished. As with Paul you will be able to say that and have two meanings.Hope you are feeling better