IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Wednesday, January 16, 2008

IN MY BACK YARD!



Look what is blooming in my back yard! Every January, in Louisiana, we get a preview of what is coming in the spring. The narcissus bloom. You first notice the green stalks coming out of the deep bed of leaves sometime in early January, depending upon the weather. I looked in the back today and saw the blooms had opened. It is as if God is giving you a reminder of the beautiful spring that is just around the corner. We have a VERY short winter dormant period here. The violas are in my bed, but they don't really reach their "Peak Pretty" until it is about time to plant the spring flowers. I will barely get all of the leaves cleaned from the beds before everything begins to bloom. We have an early Easter this year, so the dogwoods should be perfect. Many times they have passed their peak before the day arrives. What a beautiful reminder of what we are celebrating when you look into the woods and the white blooms are so thick you would think the tree had snow on it. Indeed Spring is coming-swiftly approaching! I am ready!

For today, it is cold and wet! I have a fire burning, thanks to Mr. C and a large pot of soup simmering on the stove. If we must endure winter, then this is the way to survive. I LOVE SOUP! BC likes it ok, but I could eat it every night when it is cold. They had an entire page of recipes in the paper today, but I pretty much fly by the seat of my pants when it comes to soup. I like all kinds-with corn bread, crackers, hard rolls, all kinds of sopping material. YUMMY! I have a blogging buddy that is a gourmet cook. I enjoy reading her blog and hearing about her culinary adventures. I am ready and willing to try new foods and recipes anytime, but you just cannot beat "old time cooking". Since I do not come from a long line of wonderful cooks, I have self taught myself a lot and even taken some cooking classes. BC may regret that I don't have a marathon to focus on if I get on a cooking jag. I can cook and just have a taste, he on the other hand loves to eat and often returns for seconds. I told two of my running buddies yesterday that I lost over 10% of my body weight training for this marathon (1st time this has happened-I usually gain) and needed to put some weight back on. One of them told me they would love to be able to say I need to gain weight. They think I am lucky-but when I look at the marathon pictures-well bones running down the road are not flattering!

I am looking for inspiration for a story. Have any good ideas of a topic? I just need that little spark to be lit, but for now I cannot seem to come up with the flint stone. HMMMMMM!

I did see in the newspaper that Paris Hilton will be given the "Harvard Lampoon" Hastiest Pudding of the Lampoon Award. GIVE ME A BREAK! Why would anyone pay ANY attention to this untalented ditsy dimwit? OH YES-SHE COMES FROM MONEY! I guess money can buy lots of things after all, but it can not buy brains as she has proven!

Final thought for today-if you know Ivory and would like to see what a hero she is-do the following: Go to Houston Marathon Results, on that page you will see a spot to click to see runners coming across the finish line, put her last name in, and right side, you will see her dragging her leg across the finish line. WHAT A WOMAN! As I have said before, to finish is something, but to finish in that much pain is unreal!

3 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

I'm making 5 hour no peak stew for tonight! One of our favorites especially with Texas Toast.. yum. Maybe your new project could be traveling..maybe to Pennsylvania?

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

I love soup....I wing it to when it comes to soup. I never make the same soup the same way...if that makes any sense.

If you need a project take up Yoga...soothes the spirit, the mind, and will work out those marathon muscles.

Lora said...

Been there-done that. Actually we are talking about trying another yoga class, maybe once or twice a week. It is hard to fit in all we want to do though. The massage therapist worked on the old legs today-OOOOOWWWWWWW!