IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Wednesday, January 23, 2008

SMALL TOWN GIRL!

I was looking over the "local daily" this AM and the headlines are :
"Cyber Command to boost Tech" (local university)
"Dubach en route to new garbage truck"
"Students rewarded with prizes for reading"

YOU HAVE GOT TO LOVE IT! That, Dear Friends, is the latest and greatest news in Ruston and Lincoln Parish! No crime wave, no impending doom of the economy, society, and the nation, and no political squabbling stories. Our paper is a true reflection of the sheltered lives we live here. There are 12 pages in yesterday's paper. Here is a recap

Page 1 Headline stories as noted above and local briefs (flu shots, cancer tests, faculty concert, etc.)
Page 2 Weather & Community Meeting Notices
Page 3 Obits
Page 4 Editorials including "Urge young people to get involved" -all local
Page 5 Financial including half a page of ads from local bankers, brokers, and realtors. Stock prices and 2 stories from other national sources
Page 6-Birthday list, School menus, Article by local AgCenter on tree planting, Picture of local St. Thomas Gumbo cooks
Page 7 Sports-All local games and local athletes
Page 8 Entire page of TV schedule for today (Does that tell you what we do around here for entertainment?)
Page 9 Comics (MY PERSONAL FAVORITE PAGE)
Page 10-11-LOCAL Classifieds
Page 12 Entire page of Ads

This is actually one of our larger papers. Many days there are not that many pages. You see not much goes on around here. AND THAT'S ALRIGHT WITH ME! I have told BC to throw the paper in the air and before it hits the ground you can have it read.

I had a comment on yesterday's blog from one of our local Sheriff's deputies. Tommy was the V-Prin at the High School in charge of discipline when my kids all passed through RHS. I am sure this gave him all the training he needed to step into law enforcement when he retired. He made a comment about the roads being his and doing what he said that reminded me of a running story.

One Saturday AM-VERY EARLY- our group was running on 167 inside the city limits toward town ON THE LEFT SIDE. The road at that place is 5 lanes wide but their is no sidewalk nor any side. This requires us jumping the curb on uneven ground if the cars do not move over. A car was coming toward us in the lane that we were running in. There were no other cars on the road and keep in mind there are 4 other lanes. The car barrels down on us and does not budge one inch requiring us all to jump the curve. One of my buds throws her hand in the air and give a motion to move over. The car makes a U turn in the road and comes back and stops us. It is one of the city police and he proceeds to bless her out and say, "He Does Not Have To Move Over." He was not nice, in fact he was down right ugly. My friend, has a sweet soul, and she is in tears after he left. We spent the rest of the run discussing the officer and his rudeness. Well my friend spends the weekend thinking about the encounter. Monday morning she calls the chief of police and tells him the entire story. It turns out she and the chief are long time friends. The next time she sees the officer, who it turns out is a very good friend of her brothers, he tells her he got called on the carpet for the incident. She responds, "GOOD". They talked it over and left with some reconcilement of feelings. Now every time he sees us (especially her), he honks or puts on his siren. I don't think they have any incidents like that in New York City!

I was raised in Farmerville which is less than half the size of Ruston and moved here when I came to college, 42 years ago. I am truly a small town girl and I love living in a small town. When it takes me 15 minutes to get to the other side of town, I am out done. I know my neighbors and consider them my friends. It is not hard to find out "who someone is" and sometimes the entire family tree and history. Ruston is just big enough that I can live in some anonymity. BC knows everyone and they all know him. I like to lie low and blend in. It is not necessary for me to know everyone in town. I actually occasionally go to the grocery store and don't see anyone I know and that is OK by me.

I have friends and buddies and family that would absolutely go to bat for me. I would do the same (and have) for them. I will cook for them, clean their yards, visit them when they are sick, fellowship with them, and most important pray for them. One of the best perks of small town living is the community you are afforded by small numbers.

Having been raised in a really small town, I find Ruston the perfect size. Small enough to know anyone you care to and big enough that it is not necessary if you don't care to. Everyone knew everyone in Farmerville. That is a little too small for me.

All of you "Big City" readers are thinking about all of the many things to do when you live in a big town and all of the shopping, and on and on. You can have it! I can find the same thing with a 30 minute or hour drive in either direction and I'll bet you have to drive at least that far yourself to afford yourself to many of these. Do you know all your neighbors and do you know all of the teachers, personally that teach your children? Does your banker call you when there is a suspicious check that comes through? Can you get a loan by just calling the same banker? Does your doctor return your calls and will he just call in a prescription? I could go on and on.

I am thankful for diversity and glad for you if you enjoy living in a large town. We need those large towns, so we can have a place to run our marathons, among other things. As for me and Mr. C, we are small town and proud of it.

We ran a slow 30 minute run this AM. We were a little sore from Yoga and as the run went on I found more sore places. That means it is good for you.
NO PAIN-NO GAIN

3 comments:

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

LOL, I hail from a town where the paper is 6 pages cover to cover. I hated it. I have lived all over the last 18 years...i love living in anonymity. I don't know my neighbors, nor do i want to. I like socialization on MY terms..i love not bumping into anyone at the grocery store. You still write checks??? With the age of the internet who needs a doc anyway...you can diagnose yourself off of webmd and take a drive to Canada and Mexico for RX's, or there are plenty of not so legal pharmacists out there willing to oblige for a fee. LOL

Lora said...

OH OH
Definite Generation Gap.
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but at your age, I felt the same as you do. STARTLING!
I am a retired CPA-like to personally write in those amounts. Don't write many checks, but can't quite cross over to "trusting" those computers. Personal experience with seeing what can go wrong when I was working. Oh, and by the way, as my family will tell you, I think I am a pseudo doctor anyway-always self-diagnosing!

Adrian said...

Lora,
I agree with you! Caleb and I think Ruston is a wonderful place - just the right size - to raise a family. I think Audrey and Abby are lucky to grow up here. By the way, it is nice having 2 doctors in the family - ha - I ALWAYS call dad and tell him my symptoms before taking any medicine or calling the real doctor.