IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Sunday, January 6, 2008

THE SAINTS UNDER FIRE

Bobby & I have just returned from a visit with "The Boersma's". Bobby was not very happy with me when I said we would just "drop by". The wonderful thing is that I have never found anything but a welcome mat out when I popped in on Dogwood Street. Today I think I probably interrupted Helen's nap and Dale was napping, but you never hear anything but welcome in their voices. We have purposely stayed away for the past couple of weeks knowing their entire family was here and then not daring to take a cold germ over there. Having turned the corner back to good health and knowing the company has all departed, I knew it was time for us to "eyeball" our sweet friends.

Dr. Dale is now confined to his bedroom unless someone is there to help bring him downstairs. They have a lovely home and a spacious bedroom, so we just go right in and make ourselves at home. We had such a wonderful visit and Dr. Dale is still teaching me and stretching me as he has for the past few years. They both are wonderful examples of grace under VERY difficult circumstances. As Bobby & I were driving home, we were discussing how difficult it would be to loose the independence we all so dearly love. Dr. Dale has met the challenge with dignity, grace, and his typical good humor. We spent the time talking of past experiences including the years of his residency and their lives during that time. With the wonderful twinkle in his eye, he made some remarks about Helen and stubbornness and learning to live life together. We all laughed and joked and enjoyed each other's company.

During the evening, Helen helped Dale get to a sitting position in bed. She has quite a method worked out. When she began climbing into the bed and was hovering directly over him, I offered to leave the room. Dale told me that some things were better left in the room, but I just could not resist.

When it came time to leave, Dale, just as he would have pre illness, does not want us to leave. "Why do you have to leave?" When I said we would be back, he said, "Tomorrow?" The closing exchange was me telling Dale that just like running a marathon, he needed to conserve his energy for the important things. He reply was quite glib, and better left between the four of us. What a man and what a wonderful sense of humor.

God is using Dale & Helen to teach us all some very important lessons. Dale is continuing his study of the scriptures having friends read to him from The Bible. Helen is serving with a smile and gentle touch and never complaining. They are a living example of never abandoning your faith and living in the shadow of Jesus. We all are watching and learning and growing. I pray for a miracle for Dale, but I pray in thanksgiving for the wonderful gift of their friendship and the powerful witness they are to our Lord. Dale and Helen truly know the meaning of "running the good race." As in marathons of old, they truly deserve the laurel wreath of victory.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen....