IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Tuesday, January 1, 2008

I RESOLVE!

may I know thee more clearly, love thee more dearly and follow thee more nearly, day by day.

These famous lyrics from a well know song were actually written by Richard Bishop of Chister in 1253. Truly Timeless Words!

When I was reflecting on the first day of the New Year, I pondered whether or not I should make resolutions. Some years in the past, I have done just that and others I have refused to be drawn into the annual destiny to failure. Resolutions are not all bad, but rather than resolutions on the first day of the year, I have decided to take a new approach. I plan to reflect each and every day of the year upon how I have lived that day. We are only guaranteed the day which is in front of us and that is what I plan to begin centering on. The words of this little know Bishop have been repeated often with little or no credit going to Richard. The truth of the resolution in these words should resound for each and every one of us. If we seek Him and obey Him, we will also grow in our love for Him. What a great God!

In past years my resolutions have centered on Bible study, prayer life, exercise programs, relationships, and on and on and on. We make these resolutions with the best of intentions and many times I have even been able to stay on track for the entire year. What I did not understand was that everyday is the beginning of a new year. January 1st is only a man made day on a man made calendar. I can reflect upon my life and make alterations as needed on any day-it need not be January 1st.

Wisdom truly does come with age. As I start the year that will begin my 6th decade here on earth, I know how much wiser I have become. The things that I once felt were so important have now dimmed in my sight. I have learned the most important things all surround relationships. The relationship with My Lord, the relationships with my family, the relationships with my fellow believers, and the relationships with friends. When I leave this earth, I will not be pulling a trailer behind the hearse with any possessions, but I will be leaving many memories with those that I love.

As I start this New Year, I resolve to

Know each of you more clearly &

Love each of you more dearly.

These age old words are indeed words to live by and follow concerning our relationship with not only our Lord, but all of those that we love.

HAPPY 2008 Friends
I Love You All!

2 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

Happy new Year Lady! love you

Melanie said...

Mrs Lora!!!!! I love you and Mr. C :)! Hope your New Year is Happy and Blessed!!! Kick the marathon's tail and keep leaving me those sweet comments...they are much appreciated! I love you :)!!!