IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Monday, January 14, 2008

I'M BACK!!!!!

Camille's "Ghost Runner"-Note Name on Bib
Night Before "Final Pasta Dinner"

14 Ruston Runners-HOW GREAT!



Sandra Finishing- 3rd in her age group!



Susan Finishing (2nd runner)


"The Old Lady-FINISHING! (Green Top)
Well we are home and EVERYONE finished! My time was my best time I have had, but only by a little. The first 20 miles were great, but the last six were TOUGH! A great deal of the course was concrete and I have a HATE relationship with concrete. The hard surface managed to kick off my IT Band syndrome, which I have not had a problem with for quite a few years. It can take some time to get well, but I've had it before, so know what I need to do. I have "tight" legs and a few sore spots, but over all am in pretty good shape after 26.2 miles.
I was running along at a record pace for me, until about mile 20. I saw Ivory on the side of the road between mile 18 and 19 and stopped to see what I could do. SHE WAS IN BAD SHAPE! She was literally having to drag her bad leg along. I talked with her and convinced her to run along with me and we would run slow. So for the next couple of miles we jogged and walked alternately. For some reason, once I started walking, it went downhill fast. My IT band began hurting and I was having a tough time getting it going again. We made a brief stop in a medical tent and stopped to stretch a couple of times, but after mile 22, I could not get my legs running again. I walked the next four miles, and ran the last .2. Thank goodness Sandra had suggested walking during our training. I was able to walk a sub 15 minute miles, even with lead legs. That is what saved me from having an even slower time. My overall "chip" time was 5hours 14 minutes which was a minute faster than my last marathon when I walked the last 3 miles. I am relieved I finished and ready to think about something else other than a marathon. We did discuss, on our way home today, what we would run next. No consensus, but that lets you know we will be up for training again, in the future.
Could I tell you what sights you see in a marathon??????Belly dancers, flamingo dancers, cloggers, bands, "The Blues Brothers"-including car, Boom boxes, radio station vans broadcasting, everything, but a circus. It is unbelievable. Every neighborhood you go through had people up and down the course rooting you on. Screaming and call out your name (on your bib) and encouraging you on. It is really something! And the characters you see running-including "Superman", "The Flash", a guy in a grass skirt, a guy in a kilt with his knee socks. IT IS REALLY SOMETHING!
Ivory gets the "Bravery" award. It is quite something to finish-at all-but to have a REALLY bad injury and keep on going. Well I can't tell you the guts that takes. She is really something. There is nothing I would like more than to see her get well and finish in the fashion that she is capable of. She is really disappointed, but all of her "running buds" will group around and encourage her as she recovers and we begin to go again.
We had a wonderful time. Laughing and talking and cutting up. Encouraging each other. Talking running. IT WAS A GREAT 3 DAYS! The next 2 weeks involve recovery including slow and easy walks and runs. After the recovery-back in the saddle, but not the long miles we had been doing. That actually sounds pretty good!






8 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

You go, girl! You're my hero!

Ann Miller said...

Yeah!!! I am impressed that you can even think about running again for a long time!! If you're interested...Crescent City Classic is March 22--ccc10K.com.

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

WOW, you all should be so proud. A marathon is such an accomplishment. It is so powerful to stick with something and see it through no matter how you have to finish.....even if you are dragging yourself over the finish line. The euphoria of finishing and being so strong to have done so and the great sense of relief that is finally over.

How about that after the race puke??

Lora said...

No puking, even though I had ingested so much "goo" that it was coming out my ears. Your gut pretty much ceases working, so a lot just sits there until after you finish. The "puke" would be really disgusting and yes, I have had a friend actually cross a finish line and do just that. She is still mortified to this day! NOT A PRETTY SIGHT!

Anonymous said...

Great job!! I am so proud of you. Very impressive!

Love,
Adrian

Anonymous said...

Lora,
I am so glad this was all positive...no major injury and your time was better. I just wanted you to be pleased....after all that work I didn't want you to have any disappointment. Glad you all had a great time.

Yes,Ivory is an inspiration. She still isn't walking normally and I feel so badly for her. I know she had to drive right home and that had to be really tough....maybe the massage will help out. Hope so! You are a good friend to hang with her.

Gabe said...

Mom's so tough n stuff.
Proud of you.

Lindsey said...

Way to go! I admire your endurance and strength.