IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Tuesday, November 27, 2007

WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?

SAD-Seasonal Affect Depression

I come from a long line of depressed people. I have always run to keep those good endorphins flowing in an effort to miss out on this wonderful inherited trait. Most of the time, I just do not have time to be depressed, but Christmas always throws me for a loop. Who knows what the roots of this are. I personally do not want to search through my childhood in an effort to find someone or something to blame for every negative thing about me. I just need to deal with it. For some strange reason, every year, I hit this real low during Christmas. Why would anyone be sad during this wonderful time of the year? It is a funky feeling that pulls your entire body and mind down into the dark. I do not like going here and have never really talked with anyone, except BC, about it. Perhaps I am not the only person out there who experiences this. This feeling snuck up behind me and wrapped it arms around me suddenly yesterday. I was not expecting it and was quite taken by surprise. Bobby & I talked about it last night and as I told him, "This too will pass." In an effort to push the blues out the door, I decorated the tree today. I still have lots of decorating to do, but in my old age, I take it a step at at time. I am about to go outside and get in the sunshine and work on the leaf accumulation. I refuse to give in-How could anyone SO BLESSED dare to be sad? I will not-I plan to push through the clouds and relish the sunshine of life once again. I remind myself -it is all in my mind-it is all in my mind.

Tomorrow I have to get up and run my 20 miles. UGH! The worse thing about that is that I have to do it alone. Double UGH! That which does not kill us-makes us stronger!

If you have not read Camille's blog from yesterday, you need to take the time. SHE HAS NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH DEPRESSION! She is definitely her Daddy's daughter. Thank you Lord!

4 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

LOVE YOU MOM!

Anonymous said...

Take care of YOURSELF!! I know how busy you stay making sure everyone else is okay...and they probably count on you! So taking care of you is taking care of them!! I am sure they will thank you later. Recongnizing your blessings does not always make it better...you feel how you feel; trying to cover it up or brush it off sometimes makes it worse. Counseling session over...
I am sure Daddy appreciates any time I actually use the graduate education he paid for. I love you! Ann

Cynthia said...

I can completely relate...last year was especially hard, but I had just moved home, away from some of the greatest friends I had ever known. I admitted for the first time to one of those friends about how I struggle with depression during Christmas. It doesn't make sense to me either, but it's always nice to know I'm not alone so thanks for sharing! I love you mucho and hope to see you and BC again soon!

Anonymous said...

Maybe it was thinking of running 20 miles by yourself got you down. Just say "no".

Sheila