IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Tuesday, November 20, 2007

PRESSURE COOKING!

"T Day" is rapidly approaching and the pressure is on! For the past 25 + years we have shared Thanksgiving with our dearest friends, The Thompson's. When we started this tradition all those years ago, I never dreamed that the day would come when we didn't celebrate together. Who could have known that once our families were grown, the problem of getting everyone together would become impossible. Bobby & I have this overwhelming feeling that we need to be with our Austin family. This creates a stream of sadness in me, but a profound sense of gratitude for all of those years together. I am positive we will have a wonderful time with the boys and Caroline, but there will be a hole in the day without the Thompson & Brantly families.

Barbara and I had the Thanksgiving cooking down to a fine science. We were even able to serve the meal by noon and did not have people unhappy with a tardy meal. We were a well oiled machine, with years of practice enabling us to create quite a feast. The menu was set in stone after much trial and error and we each knew what we were responsible for. Barbara is an amazing cook and I have learned so much from her. We have had many a laugh about the day and the expectations of those with us. We have shared the meal with many friends and it has always been a treasure.

Barbara's Mother, Mammaw Brantly makes the most delicious dressing. We all love it! I tried to make the dressing one year, I think the Brantly's were out of pocket, and did I ever hear about it. My sweet daughter, Camille, and the food critic, Gabe, delight in telling me of my culinary shortcomings. Well I made dressing this morning. Camille will be in Fort Worth with Adam's sweet family, so I will be spared her remarks, but Gabe will be there with his notebook in hand. What pressure! I have my friend Mona's recipe. She swears by it! She has had lots of practice, but this is my second time to try it. Well be warned, the first one to say A WORD- gets to make the dressing next year.

Everything is frozen and ready for the trip. We only have to put together a few things Thursday morning and heat everything up. The meal is the same and most of the company is the same, BUT IT JUST WON'T BE THE SAME!

No physical activity today since I have a long run tomorrow before leaving town. I have flip flopped my long runs and will only do 13 this week. I will then have a full week to recover before next Wednesday's 20 miler. I do have a sports massage this afternoon. My legs are still pretty tender, so they may hear me moaning all over Tech!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back at you - I guess the "scarlet" in me is having to admit it. I know you will have a wonderful time in Austin - even starting a new tradition of the Conville dressing.

I am experimenting this year. Greg has sent his turkey brine recipe and will smoke the turkey when he arrives. Without gloating I will say we will have Mamma dressing. A few other experiments are in the making.

We will miss all of you and trust that God will continue to knit our hearts, lives, and journeys with His gracious love.

Rest when you can! Praying for marathon prep.

Love, Barbara

the Jennings secede from the South said...

That makes me sad. I will miss the dressing, oyster dressing, spinach madeline...