IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Thursday, November 29, 2007

CHILLIN IN THE AIRPORT

We were up bright & early for the trip to Arizona. The airline people did not cooperate. We were treated to the view in the downtown Monroe airport for the next 4 hours. Not exactly how I envisioned the start to our trip, but never the less.... We arrived late this afternoon-finally-but unfortunately it was dusk and I did not get to really enjoy the view. Will have to tell you more about that later. We went to a reception, dinner and symphony concert tonight. The symphony was mostly young people and were quite good. I especially enjoyed "Music of the Night" from "The Phantom".

I read Camille's blog after we were settled and chuckled over her remarks about no comments. We all like to think that someone is interested in our thoughts and that is how you know you've been read.

I'm tired and it's late s0-here's the next installment of Louise's life-ENJOY

V.

I finally graduated from Overton High School when I was 17 years old. Aunt Lora wanted me to go to Teacher’s College, but I had no desire to teach a classroom full of not always clean and unrefined children. I had taken many business classes during my high school years so it was decided that I would continue to work with Daddy at the Drug Store and help him with his bookwork for the store. My days were busy as Daddy worked in the pharmacy portion of the store and I ran the front part of the store. This was during the time before you had to have a degree to dispense medicine and there were only a limited number of drugs available. There were many elixirs and remedies produced in small quantities and under no oversight as to there effectiveness. Many people still used remedies passed down through their families for generations, but the business of drugs was only a fledgling business just in the early stages of infancy.

I was still heartbroken over my broken romance, but did not let this stop my social life. I was quite the darling of the county and enjoyed being taken out by all of the local young men. Daddy finally relented and allowed me to date without a chaperone. He had very strict rules about whom I could date and where they were allowed to take me. One night one of the local beaus took me to a roadhouse in Troop where there was dancing and drinking. I loved the excitement and the great time we had dancing. When I got home that night, Daddy was waiting on the front porch to have a talk. He was so mad! It turned out that he, Ora, and Bruce have taken a drive out in the country looking for one of his lost fox hounds when they passed by the roadhouse. Bruce recognized my date’s car and thankfully Ora talked him out of coming in to get me. I was once again reminded of my Mother’s saintly reputation and told how disappointed she would have been in me. The final threat was that if it happened again, he would call Aunt Lora. Now Daddy and Aunt Lora did not always see eye to eye about me, but this they would agree on, and I would never hear the end of it.

About this time there was BIG excitement in east Texas. OIL WAS DISCOVERED! In those days, oil and gas were just beginning to be in demand and there we were sitting on top of one of the biggest oil fields ever found. The really great thing about the discovery of the oil was all of the young eligible men this brought into the area. There were literally hordes of workers needed not only in the oil fields, but in the businesses that were all related to the drilling, transporting, and manufacturing of the oil. BONNAZA! The level of excitement in the local area was electric. After so many years of agriculture based economy, we finally had a real cash crop.

We local girls were so excited about the fresh new crop of young men to take us out. Daddy put such a damper on this though. He announced I would not be dating anyone that he did not know and to not even think about asking. How could he?? Here I was with the first real opportunity to heal from my broken heart and I was not allowed to even think about it. Well I had to think about a way to change his mind.

My friend, Mary, moved to a little town in northern Louisiana with her family when her Daddy took a job at a saw mill there. I was allowed to take the train to go and visit Mary for a week the summer after the oil rush started. Mary lived across the street from the James family who had a son, Robert who was a couple of years older than me. Robert was quite the charmer and came across the street to meet the visiting Texan. He was tall and slender and certainly a ladies’ man. He played the piano with a local band that often traveled the area playing in dances. I liked Robert, but my first love was still in the back of my mind. The week went by fast and we all had a great time, hanging out together and just having fun. I left thinking I was going back to Texas and the life that I loved with no thoughts of a future with Robert.

I went back to Overton and back to work and Robert started writing me letters. I received a letter one day that his band would be coming to a local dance to play and would I please come. I got a group of my girl friends and we all drove over for the dance, but without Daddy knowing. We had a wonderful time and he charmed all the girls. The letters continued and it appeared that Robert was pursuing me. I wrote Robert and explained that Daddy would never approve of our involvement since he did not know Robert personally. I could see no future for Robert and me, and thought no more of it.

The next thing I know Robert has moved to east Texas to work in the office of an oil company. He had just graduated from business school and had a good job. He began coming in the drug store and always made a point to talk with Daddy. Finally Daddy invited him over for Sunday lunch. Little did Robert know that this was the “Trial by Fire”. Daddy had also invited all 3 of “The Aunts” and their families and it was inspection by the masses. Robert was so easy to talk with and so charming. He was quick to offer to help Ora and Bruce loved playing with him. He was fun to be around and everyone who met him liked him. Daddy finally gave his permission for us to court.

We began a wonderful courtship. Once again I was being treated like the center of the universe and I loved it. Robert was so sweet to me and treated me like the perfect lady that I had been raised to be. He promised me the universe if I would only marry him. How could I turn down this good looking man that promised his undying devotion? We were married on the first of May when I was 19, almost 20. Robert’s family was not able to make the trip, but all of my family was gathered in Daddy and Ora’s Parlor for the marriage of their sweet little Louisey. What a wonderful day and the beginning of a new chapter in my life.

Robert decided soon after we were married that we would move back to Farmerville. It turned out that he was quite a family man and very close to his parents and siblings. I would have to leave my beloved family and hometown of Overton. The long distance and difficulty of traveling in those days would surely keep me away from Daddy and the family. Once again I found myself heartbroken and knowing I would be homesick since the distance would “keep me away” from my precious Daddy. My heart and my head were echoing the old refrain, “For today, keep her away,” as I prepared to leave my beloved Overton.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. I went home at lunch today and looked at the picture on Momma and your Daddy dancing in New Orleans. I also looked at the picture of her I have as a little girl. Thank you for sharing all this with us. I feel like I am getting to know so much more about her.

Love,
Adrian