IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Wednesday, November 7, 2007

COLD WEATHER RUNNING!!!!

It was cold, by Louisiana standards, when we started our run at 5:30. My car showed 32 deg in "Downtown Vienna", but 34 by the time I got to town. I AM NOT COMPLAINING! This is so much better than the hot & humid days we endured for MONTHS! The cold helps you get started in an effort to warm up and deciding what to wear is a dilemma! Today I layered with a short sleeve dri-fit shirt under a long sleeve dri-fit. No need for another layer until it gets quite a bit colder. I did wear long pants-1 layer only- but the old legs warm up and stay warm. I also wore my new "light" gloves. Just enough to keep the cold out after the first mile or so, but not hot-like so many gloves are. The final necessity is the cotton in the ears-sort of looks like a cotton boll growing from your ear.

I am thankful for the dark while we are running, since I am sure I am a REALLY LOVELY sight! The cold tends to make my nose run, not a problem, unless my face becomes numb and I do not realize that it is running down my face. ATTRACTIVE! I also suffer from a genetic malady of roscea. I can pretty much keep it under control, except when I am out in the really cold and then it looks like Rudolph running down the road. All my problems seem to revolve around my nose, but you know we James'es are well known for our big noses. That will make a good subject for another post.

I ran 8 this morning and then walked 5. I did not get any exercise, except yard-work, yesterday, so I had to push myself today to get those miles in. It is so difficult at this stage of the training to keep yourself motivated. We have lots of REALLY hard runs left and staying on task is not easy. The long runs seem totally overwhelming and your mind tells you that you cannot do this. IT IS SO MENTAL and getting that mind right is the hardest part of the training!

Poor Camille & Adam still have no lights. I thought losing the power with snow only happened in the South. I was totally shocked to find out that they have these same problems. She is undaunted though and loving the snow. Only when you are young, would all of that sound like an adventure.

My friend, Barbara, told me I should take a writing course. I told her that I did not have time for that. She reminded me that I would not be able to run like I am now all of my life and maybe I should have another obsession in the wings waiting. Like does she think I am OCD or something??

I have a draft of the next episode in Louise's life, but am not very happy with it. Hopefully I will have it ready soon and you will be my guinea pigs again.

Have a busy end of week with our small group meeting with us tonight, our college adoptees and our friend, Cynthia, coming for dinner tomorrow night, and the kids and grands coming for the weekend. They are having a memorial service for Caroline's father here Saturday, so we have the thrill of a long overdue visit. We will have a wild and fun weekend with those boys!

No comments: