IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Thursday, November 8, 2007

IF I COULD ONLY HELP!!!!!

Our friends, Helen & Dale brought a proclamation that had been given to Dr. Dale by the local representatives and senator honoring him for his years of service and the path he had walked before all of us. Helen seemed surprised and caught unawares. As I quickly told her, what goes around comes around. When you have spent your life living the example of your King, Jesus, and treating everyone you come into contact with in a kind and interested manner your reputation spreads. Whatever accolades this humble man receives, they could never really express our admiration and love for him.

My earliest memory of Dale involves his quick wit and that weird sense of humor. My Mother would not allow me to have my ears pierced-some story about being a lady -yadda, yadda, yadda. After marrying, having a baby, and holding down a full time job, I decided that I would defy her-knowing how unhappy she would be- and get those ears pierced. For some strange reason, I do not remember why, I went to Dr. Boersma to get that done. I rationalized that this would be sterile and safe and better than the department store. I believe I had only seen Dr. Boersma when he came into the bank where I worked. I had not really had any- one on one- contact, so I don't know-or maybe I do- what led me to the Bonner Street Office. I am definitely nervous, when the appointment finally came around, as I have a long and BAD relationship with needles. Dr. B walks in the room and asked what I was there for. When I told him my mission, I am sure with a nervous but resolved voice, he disarms me as only Dale can do. With a twinkle in his eye, he asked me, "Would you like me to pierce your nose too, while I am at it?" He did the deed and I have always loved my pierced ears, although (not that I am OCD) one appears to be a little higher than the other. Let me assure you, it is not big enough of a problem to start over again.

My next experience with the Boersma's was when BC & I were working with an evangelistic crusade. I mostly remember Helen, since she was the card then that she is today. That particular story, (get BC to tell you) was after Gabe was born and before Camille, so at least 25 years ago. That was a brief but memorable encounter and we love to tell the story, until this day.

For some reason, that I don't really remember, Dr. Dale became one of my clients when I had my CPA practice. I really had more contact with his office manager, whom I grew to love and enjoy as we both tried to keep Dale straight. I would only see Dale once or twice a year, but he knew how to push my button. My staff would begin calling early in tax season to get him to bring his information in, but over the years he would drag it in later and later. IMAGINE, he thought tending to all of those sick people was more important than getting his tax info together. It's a good thing that I finally retired, since at the very end of our professional relationship he was dragging his little pile of stuff into my office mid-afternoon on April 15th. By this time of the year, I was never in a very good frame of mind, but he never acted like my curtness or lack of patience was insulting. I am thankful he forgave my lack of manners and borderline rudeness.

We then became connected with our small group at Christ Community Church. What a man of faith! When Dale added something to the group discussion, he would challenge you to think and prod you into study. I did not always agree with his theology, but I admired his conviction and his research that helped form his opinions. The very soul of what our faith is to be-he urged us to be "the church" to our fellow believers. If we found a project, no matter if it was mowing the church yard, or what, he was there and worked just as hard as anyone else there. Quick witted and fun loving, he led the group on many a silly venture. He always has this little laugh, that is like his voice, a little wispy, but THE TWINKLE in those eyes.

Dr. Dale is walking a very different path now. ALS has not been kind to him and it is difficult to see what he is enduring. Dale has not questioned God, but has embraced the journey. It must be difficult to accept help for such a strong and independent man. The simplest task of breathing, requires the help of the machine that is by his side at all times now. He has allowed the ministry of his faithful companion, Helen, with thanks and no complaints. I am sure if I were in this same situation, I would have hibernated in my home, but Dale has fought to keep mobile and continued to attend church, group, and an occasional outing.

This is a very inadequate attempt to tell you what a hero Dale Boersma is. Not only a hero in fighting this disease, but most important a Hero of the Faith. I am so blessed that God placed our families together and thank God for our friendship. As I said earlier there are no accolades that could possibly ever praise this humble and faithful servant enough.

I leave you with this: If I could give him part of the muscles in my diaphragm and it meant a loss of physical activity, I would jump at the chance. The only thing is I would have to get in a long line of friends and family, who would also jump at the chance to do anything to relieve him of this journey of illness. As I told Helen, "What goes around, comes around," and in this case the love and friendship of a wonderful man would inspire scores of us to do anything we could to relieve his sufferings and restore his physical well-being. Dale has truly, "Fought the good fight," and many of us plan to be warriors by his side to continue the battle. God has richly blessed us all by placing these two wonderful friends in our lives and we will walk the path with them, not matter where it takes us. I thank God daily for Dale & Helen, but also pray for that miracle we all want and, No Dale, it is not a miracle of growing grass on your arm or another leg, but the miracle of restored physical health to match that glow of spiritual health that shines from your very being. Know this-I would help, if only I could help!

No comments: