IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Thursday, November 22, 2007

MOMMA IS STILL THE BOSS!

I got a passing grade from the family on the Thanksgiving cooking! In the wonderful style of Grandparents everywhere, we managed to spoil the grand's appetites before serving the turkey. Who was to know that donuts at 9:15 would ruin your appetite? It didn't seem to phase any of us adults! We all ate our fill and then, in the true spirit of T'Day, had to have a short nap. I am now trying to stay out of the pecan pie and ice cream, so I can enjoy round 2 tonight. The second time around is always better than the first. I have to give friend, Mona, credit, the dressing and gravy-per her old family recipe, were delicious. She gave great instructions and they both were so moist and mouth watering.

I really have a difficult time remembering many big meals while growing up at Thanksgiving. I seem to remember eating at Mama Jameses once or twice, but no other huge family gatherings. We never went to The Gillespie's for any holiday, that I remember. That is so strange to me now, when I think about it. Most everyone I know talks about big family gatherings at Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I don't really remember many of those. Aunt Lora & Uncle Joe came at Christmas a few times, but no other family in my memory.

My Daddy and his brother, Uncle Bryant, had a huge family split at some point when I was a young girl. I think this might have pretty much put a damper on the family gatherings. From what I remember and understand, the split was over a business deal. Thus my personal philosophy today of do not go into business with your family. Somethings are much more important than money and business, and that includes family relationships. To my knowledge Uncle Bryant and Daddy never mended their quarrel, even after Daddy became terminally ill. HOW PROFOUNDLY SAD!

We have missed our friends, The Thompson's, but trust they, like us, have enjoyed the blessing of family and good times. WE ARE MAKING MEMORIES, Friends, we are making memories!

It has been a delight to watch the boys and their friends play and play. They are just like we were as kids-it doesn't matter how cold it is outside-they want to play. They come in with rosy cheeks and cold noses and hands, but not even aware that it is cold outside. How wonderful and carefree! They are constantly sniffing from the cold and wiping their noses with their hands, but do not seem to have a care in the world. AH THE GOOD LIFE!

We have talked about decorating the Christmas tree tomorrow while we are here. They seem to be very excited about Christmas and Santa. Caleb seems to think there is no Santa- HOW SAD FOR HIM! He did help me with the math at lunch to determine how many more days is was to Christmas. The Sweet Anticipation Of Youth!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Again, thank you for sharing more memories of your family. Uncle Bryant was Aunt Maddy Maude's husband, right? Did he pass away before we were born? What was the name of the lady that worked for Aunt Maddy Maude? I remember her making cake and it was very good! It was not until recently that I discovered that Aunt Maddy Maude was not our blood relative.

Ann has made the dressing for our gatherings since Maw Maw became ill and then passed away. She uses her recipe and it is DELICIOUS! You and Ann should compare notes.

See you soon! Love, Adrian