IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Monday, March 16, 2009

NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!

Just in case you have not been fore-warned-------growing old is NOT for the faint of heart! Pappaw Conville has had another set back and is back in the hospital. It seems someone in their "Inspirations Group" has infected several, including Pappaw, with a Gastrointestinal Virus. He had to be hospitalized since he became severally dehydrated. To further complicate matters, Nannie Conville also had a touch of the same virus. They had the ambulance on a Yo-Yo string yesterday going back and forth to the hospital. Nannie was released, but this means that someone has to be with her at the apartment since she does not do well alone. Call in the faithful "Angel Care Sitters". Meanwhile, Pappaw is 20 miles away in the hospital in quarantine. The last time Bobby talked with the nurse, Pappaw was obviously feeling better since he had taken the IV out and was wondering up and down the hall-MUCH to the Nurse's chagrin. HOPEFULLY they have him in a double hospital gown!

Even with 3 siblings, this can become quite a problem trying to coordinate the care of the aging and ill parents-especially since all 3 have careers and work full time. Unfortunately, I am no help since I still have the highly contagious cold that Mr. C shared with me last week. I am not sure how many trips back and forth to Arcadia were made yesterday, but the last trip involved "Cleaning" and as BC laughed and said, calling in the HAZ-MAT force.

When Momma was still here with us, I went through these times while still raising a child at home. They call me "The Sandwich Generation". The only thing different with Bobby and his sisters is their children are all grown, but they still are charged with the care of their parents. It is NOT easy! Making decisions and caring for those that "Brought Us Into The World" is a strange and often difficult role reversal that life throws at us. As Momma told my brother, Robbie- "I never knew dying would be such hard work."

In my personal opinion, we have improved medical science to the point that they can sometimes keep our bodies going LONG after God intended for us to be around. Old age can be a wonderful and beautiful thing-but as with the storms that Nature can often spring on us,-it can also turn on a dime and become ugly. My Grandmother James had a stroke raking her yard and died. She never had a sick day before that day. OH HOW I PRAY that God would be so gracious to me! Unfortunately, the choice is not ours and we must play the hand we are dealt. My next prayer is that if God does not take me quickly, that He will give me the grace to handle what the storms may bring.

My reading this morning included this Psalm

"We finish our years with a moan".

It would seem the Psalmist had learned the age old wisdom that growing old is indeed "Not for the Faint of Heart." To me the ironic and amazing fact remains that most CLING tenaciously to the threads of life here-EVEN KNOWING the best is yet to come. Fear of the unknown or better to deal with "The Devil You Know"? I am not sure, but I find it amazing! One fact remains and we can not change-WITH EVERYDAY THAT PASSES-I am headed down the same road and the brake is broken and there is no turning back. I pray for the grace to accept what may come and the wisdom to live in the day and enjoy what is now. I would love to end my days with a shout of joy and not the moan of the Psalmist. GIVE ME GRACE-GIVE ME GRACE-INDEED!

2 comments:

Hannah Lee said...

How you are blessed with a precious family. I pray that everyone will recover quickly and completely. Hang in there-

Ann Miller said...

we saw mom go thru the same thing w/maw-maw, and she shared some of the same things. might we all be so fortunate to have someone like you in our own battle w/aging!! you set a great example of what it means to love unconditionally; also, your example teaches us how to treat those aged that may need our tending to...so you better watch it!! ha ha! love to all!!