IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Tuesday, March 24, 2009

"CRIES OF THE HEART"


I am reading a book by Ravi Zacharias, "Cries of The Heart". If you have never read any of Zacharias teachings, you have missed a treat. You can occasionally hear him on AFR, but be warned-IT IS DEEP-BUT OH SO PROFOUND! His writings are such that I read a section or two at a time and then pause and reflect and absorb. A Christian apologist, his Harvard series expertly and convincingly defends the faith against the "Nay Sayers". Believe me when I say, you will come away Blessed when you invest the time to listen or read any of his works. God is using him mightily.


The section I just read in my current reading told of an essay by the noted English writer, F.W. Boreham. It is titled "The Candle and the Bird." Boreham compares God's presence to a bird rather than a candle. "When a candle is extinguished, the light goes out. But when a bird is driven away, it only leaves to sing its song on another bough."


"With that metaphor Boreham traced the mighty moving of God throughout history." Boreham traces the "Mighty Movement" of God from the extinguishing light of a country which has turned from God with apathy and denial to new movements of huge importance, but in other countries. It is fascinating to read the journey God has made when His people chose to turn from Him. "No, the light is never extinguished. As a bird, it has sung its song from different boughs."


"The bird is singing its song. But the melody must first be sung in each of our hearts. The Word of God abides forever, and that Word has shone upon the face of our Lord Jesus Christ." I take particular comfort in this last statement, "He hears us in our need and is in control of history. We can rest in the confidence that the battle is not ours but belongs to God, our Holy Father, who was, who is and who will be."
I pray my heart will sing that all those around me might hear "The Song."

2 comments:

Deb said...

Ravi just might be my favorite radio guy and I enjoy his books. I have not read this one....you can't just skip through those books...I love that you have to chew on them....yum! Josh and his fellow ee at work love him as well and listen to him on his web site, "Let My People Think". Check that out!

Anonymous said...

How did you know those words were JUST what I needed to hear this morning?????


Luh ya!

Goose