IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Thursday, February 5, 2009

MENTORS AND PEERS

God graciously places a few of his Saints in our lives that have a life changing impact on us. While I can actually think of quite a few that God has placed in my path that have blessed me, I especially have these two on my mind today.

Artie is one of those Godly women that you are privileged to call a friend in your life. She not only loves The Lord, but she has spent countless hours pursuing Him. She inspires me! When Artie speaks, we all listen. A proverbial fountain of Godly wisdom flows from the lady!

Life has not always been easy for Artie, and yet she has this aura of peace and joy that we all would love to possess. I am so thankful that God has allowed me to sit beside Artie and gleam from her as we live life together in Small Group. Truly you only have a few people in your life that you call "Mentor", but I am blessed to do just that.
And then-there is sweet Helen. I consider Helen my peer-or my contemporary. A rare jewel of the faith that I also call friend. I have known Helen for a long time, but since we have been in Small Group together, our friendship has blossomed and grown. I ALWAYS know where I stand with Helen. When discussing personality types one day in a group, I announced to all that I was "Passive Aggressive" and came from a long line of this personality type. Helen quickly chimed in and said she was also. WE ALL CRACKED UP! There is NOTHING passive about Helen! You don't even have to ask-she will be glad to tell you just how she feels about something. It is GREAT fun to bat things around with her and we are never together that we don't enjoy a good laugh. Another great blessing that God placed in my path.
Helen appeared at group unexpectedly last night. Her husband, Dale is very ill with ALS. ALS is a very unkind disease. Dale only has the movement of his eyelids now and is able to communicate only sporadically with a computer. He has been on a respirator for over a year and Helen has been his constant nurse and companion during the entire year. She very rarely ever leaves his side. It has been a tough-bone weary year for her. She has shown great grace under tremendous pressure, but the struggle continues. Life is a struggle for Helen and yet, she loves her friends and family well-even in the midst of her own suffering. How I wish I could do anything to alleviate the suffering of Helen and Dale-but all I can do is be a friend and PRAY-and believe me-we ALL are praying!
I am thankful for the women that God has placed in my life and the wonderful friendships we have nurtured and grown. My prayer is that I will watch and learn and then live the life that they pattern before me. What a blessing!

5 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

Godly women are such a blessing to walk with...I am thankful for those that invested in me!

Anonymous said...

You are an inspiration to others also.

Chrome Cowgirl

Anonymous said...

What in the world do people do without Godly friends. You are right..you are truly blessed...as I am to have you for a friend.


Love Ya!

Goose Creek

Jessica Stephenson said...

Ms.Helen is wonderful and I'm always guaranteed a laugh when I talk with her. I love what you wrote & fought back tears all the while.

Hannah Lee said...

How wonderful it is to have such Godly friends! I am so happy you have those women in your life! You too are an inspiration to them!