IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Monday, February 9, 2009

A LONG LONG TIME AGO-IN A FARAWAY LAND

Thirty Six years ago tonight (A LONG TIME!) in Marshall, Texas(A Faraway Land), BC & I said, "I Do". Our long time and faithful friends, Barbara & Mark were our witnesses and baby-sitters for the weekend. For some strange reason that I do not even remember, we chose to get married on the night of the Bank's Stockholder's Meeting where BC & Mark worked. This meant we did not even LEAVE Ruston until probably 8 o'clock. I wonder now all these years later, if BC sat through that meeting thinking, "WHAT AM I DOING?" The blood test had been taken, the license had been purchased, and the justice of the peace was waiting, so perhaps the snowball had started down the hill and it was too late to stop it. I will never know! Anyway we were married and spent a honeymoon night in Marshall and the next in Dallas before heading home since I was still a Tech student and he had to go to work on Monday morning. It was a wonderful weekend and I still have fond memories, even though it is almost like it happened in another lifetime.

FAST FAST FAST FORWARD to February, 2009. We pass swiftly through 2 houses, 2 more babies, 3 graduations, two careers, 2 & 1/2 grand babies, losing loved ones, and caring for others. We have had many many good times and more laughs that I can recount. We have lived through trials, tribulations, celebrations, and just laughing and crying side by side now for all of these years. I am always honest when asked and tell young people that marriage is hard work. Hard work-no matter how long you have been married. Marriage is about giving more than 50% and not keeping score. Marriage is not just a state of being-marriage is an act of doing-everyday as you walk side by side.

Here we are all these years later, and I am reflecting upon why we are still married. We are not still married because I love BC. We are still married because I love God. God's teaching and God's desire for my life is the glue that has held us together for all of these years. The example of the grace lavished upon us and the undeserving love that is ours is my benchmark. The love of Jesus for his bride, The Church, is the vision that I keep my eyes on. Through the grace of God and his abundant love for us, we have managed to stay beside each other through all of these years. The desire of His heart is where I keep my heart.

So tomorrow will be another day and we will have been married 36 years and one day. My plan is to stay married until one of us is taken from the other. My desire is to continue to model my relationship with BC after the relationship that God has with us. He ALWAYS gives more, He ALWAYS loves more, He WILL ever be faithful, and He Will NEVER forsake us. I am blessed by the love of Our Father and the love of the man that He placed in my life. I TRULY AM BLESSED!

8 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

Excellent post, Mom. We love because he first loved us, so true.

Gabe said...

Happy 36th!

adrian seney said...

Very nice post.....I love you, both!

Ann Miller said...

what an example you are to us!!! i told miller that i will always be the monkey on his back; shake as you may, i will remain. i think he really enjoyed hearing this. staying together out of fear must be better than not staying together, don't you agree??

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and many more 36 years is a while isn't it. You can finish each others sentences cann't you. What a picture of the union we have with Christ. Forever!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Well...that brought tears to my eyes....

And a slight belated Happy Anniversary to two of my favorite people in the whole world!


Love ya!

Goose Creek

jackie said...

What a story! Our honeymoon was quite similar to yours. Jimmie was teaching school in S. LA. and he only got three days so we went to Six Flags in Dallas. No camera to record it with, dumbies. We will be married 40 years in September. AACKK!!

Lindsey said...

beautiful. congratulations!