IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Tuesday, February 3, 2009

HEY, MAYBE I CAN COOK AFTER ALL!

I took a series of cooking classes with local chef, Terry Plammondon, a few years ago. I have always been an OCD when it came to cooking. I needed to know how much-what order- etc. etc. I felt the need to have a recipe and a series of instructions for almost every dish. Terry is a fly by the seat of your pants chef. You add to your taste based upon certain parameters for the dish. I would watch him cook, while helping with the preparation and try to guess how much of each ingredient he was adding. It almost drove me crazy and he got tired of me asking, "About how much of that did you add?" I loved his classes though and learned a great deal.

Tonight when thinking about dinner, I had not been able to make a trip to the grocery after deciding upon a meal. I was sitting here waiting for a telephone call from a doctor (Adam, we need to discuss this!) and could not leave. (HELLO, DUMMY-give your cell phone number!) I went into the kitchen and inventoried the ingredients I had on hand. I ended up making a chicken pasta in a cream sauce. It was delicious and ALL BY THE SEAT OF MY PANTS! I added seasonings until I got the desired taste and just went with what I had.

The ULTIMATE compliment-BC said it was delicious! It takes practice to fly by the seat of your pants-BUT-I am feeling pretty good about lessons that were a long time coming and finally crossing the bridge of hit and miss. PERHAPS I AM A RECOVERING OCD!

5 comments:

Deb said...

It looks yummy to me. Usually when I do this sort of thing it turns out scary.

adrian seney said...

Good for you...I am sure it was hard for you, though! Looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

That DOES look delicious!!!!!

But...as far as you being a recovering OCD........I'll have to see that to believe it!!!


Goose Creek

the Jennings secede from the South said...

You go, Emerald!

Bethany said...

I wish I had that skill. I don't think I've yet to have one of my "creations" turn out right yet. No worries though, I'm sure one of these days I'll figure it out.