IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Saturday, August 16, 2008

YOU CAN'T GO BACK HOME AGAIN!

BC and I have recently been having a discussion about Going Home. We both agree that you can't go home again once you have left. For those that have had the experience of leaving their childhood home and going out on their own and establishing their own home, you will understand exactly of what I speak. You just can not find that same level of comfort and familiarity that you once took for granted. # 1 and DIL both grew up in Ruston. They do not get to visit back here often, but when they do they always go for a drive. Looking for old haunts, checking to see what has changed, or searching for familiar faces, I am sure they are trying to reconnect to the Ruston that they grew up in. It is not there.

The same applies to the world of business. In today's climate of take-overs and buy outs, we are losing the close family feel of yesterday's businesses. When the change in a business occurs, you always read that not anything will change, that all the familiar faces will remain, and you will only notice a name change. NOT TRUE! Usually within a year, when you walk into the business, you wonder where you are and what happened to your old friends. Promises of the old familiar by corporate competitors enticing you to join them will never come to fruition. You just never establish what you had again-no matter what your intentions are.

On a lighter note-I saw a really cute girl last night walking into a restaurant with really short shorts on. I laughed and told BC there was a day that I dared to wear those same shorts. LONG - SKINNY legs have been attached to my upper body since birth. I enjoyed wearing those shorts and my legs seemed to go on forever when I did.
Well-those days are gone. My shorts of choice today are more like these-knee length-Bermuda-walking shorts. Whatever you care to call them. Mother Nature is not kind and time has taken its toll-most of those still long legs are best covered. I for sure cannot go home again when it comes to the length of my shorts that I wear. OH WELL!
_________________________________________________________________
Saturday's long run was a delight. When starting out at 5:30 it was about 70 degrees. Within a short period of time, it began sprinkling and then a light rain fell. A nice breeze from the west and that light rain made for a wonderful run. After weeks of sweltering humidity and runs in the upper 70's, this was a walk in the park. I love running in light rains. I do miss my visor that I always have worn in the past. That visor kept the rain out of my eyes, but with still not much hair-there is nothing to keep the visor on my head.

3 comments:

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

Amen, Sistah!

adrian seney said...

I just call them "knee knockers" and that is the only kind I will wear, unless exercising!

Deb said...

I have never worn short shorts.... I guess I was always a bit of a fuddy duddy...or maybe just thought those shorts were for girls with thinner thighs. I have always wondered what it would feel like to be comfortable in my body.

Oh yeah...and I do go home every summer and I have watched the changes, but there is a feeling there I don't find any place else.