IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Thursday, August 21, 2008

NOW I JUST NEED A BUTLER!

My 2 week project is FINALLY over after 6 months. BC asked will I be happy when I remodel this part of the house. I quickly told him, "Yes-for now." I do not want to even THINK about remodeling anything else for a while. Actually this completes the downstairs and everything is new and updated in the part of the house that we spend all of our time. You would never guess that you are in a house almost 40 years old when walking through it today.

The foyer had the wallpaper ripped out, new paint, new front door, and remodeled closet. What was a "coat closet" since we have been here has had a transformation. Who uses a coat closet anymore?? We certainly didn't and it was a very inefficient use of space. I had shelves built and I now store my cleaning stuff (part of it anyway) and lots of stuff for my flower arranging. The picture below shows the end result. The shelves are movable-so if my hobbies change later-I can adjust accordingly.

The kitchen had a closet in it that served as a utility closet with a work bench. I used it for storage of various stuff and not very efficiently. It also had the MUCH HATED Louvered Doors. Those things are just dust catchers. I finally have replaced every louvered door in the down stairs with solid wood panel doors. My brilliant idea was to take the doors out, case in the opening, add a cabinet and shelving and with a little lighting-A Butler's Pantry.














This is one of my favorite things about my remodeling. So much more efficient use of space. I plan to use this for serving drinks or coffee when we have parties, showers, family gatherings, etc. There is under the counter lighting under the shelves and track spot lights in the ceiling. The cabinet gives storage for serving pieces, linens, napkin rings & silver. I REALLY LIKE THIS PART OF THE NEW KITCHEN!
The cabinet and drawers will have black hardware which matches the kitchen hardware. Mr. Painter ran off with the hardware, but is coming tomorrow to put it in its' place.
I will save the kitchen for a later post after all as long as this all took-it should be more than one post!
NOW ALL I NEED IS A BUTLER!

6 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

that looks AMAZING, mother.

P.S. WE need a coat closet... you do not. ha ha.

Hannah Lee said...

I love the remodel! It looks fantastic!

adrian seney said...

I love it!!

Deb said...

AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

It looks terrific. You had some great ideas! My remodel started yesterday--(about 6 wks late) Now I'll see how long the project takes.

NY Yankee/sleepy Fan

Jessica Stephenson said...

I love the results and can't wait to see the kitchen!