IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Wednesday, August 20, 2008

WEDNESDAY'S SUMMER SUPPERS

I am not a snob about many things BUT I am a snob when it comes to banana pudding. I only eat "Real Banana Pudding". I do not want it made from pudding mix and I always want a meringue on top. It is just not worth the calories otherwise. I found this recipe in cooking light, but you can use "Fully Leaded" ingredients. I believe it is delicious both ways.

1/2 c. all-purpose flour
dash salt
2 1/2 c. Low Fat Milk
1-14 ou fat free sweetened condensed milk
2 egg yolks
2 t. vanilla extract
3 c. sliced ripe bananas
45 reduced-fat vanilla wafers
4 egg whites
1/4 c. sugar

Combine flour & salt in medium saucepan. Gradually stir in milks & yolks. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 8 minutes or until thickened. (CAREFUL-the pictures below I over cooked the pudding) Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. THIS MY NOVICE FRIENDS is an old fashioned custard.

Arrange 1 c. bananas in bottom of 2 qt. baking dish. Spoon 1/3 pudding mixture over, top with 15 vanilla wafers. Repeat layers twice, ending with pudding, arrange 15 wafers around the inside edge of the dish, gently pushing wafers into pudding.

Beat egg whites at high speed with electric mixer until foamy. Add sugar 1 T. at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar dissolves. Spread meringue over pudding, sealing to edge of dish. IMPORTANT NOTE-separate your eggs one at a time and then put into bowl for whipping-EVEN 1 DROP of yolk will run your meringue-as I discovered when making today's pudding.

Bake at 350 deg for 25 minutes or until golden. Let cool at least 30 minutes. BEST WARM!


















No explanation needed for these pics & they were made with the old camera last week when cooking this for the Boersma clan. I have promised Helen another one-without mistakes this time!




7 comments:

Jessica Stephenson said...

That looks delicious!!

Hannah Lee said...

My mouth is watering....

Elisha Leigh said...

is this THE recipe? as in grandma's recipe?!
it would be great if it were because daddy always says "well it's good but not like momma's"!

Elisha Leigh said...

is this THE recipe? as in grandma's recipe?!
it would be great if it were because daddy always says "well it's good but not like momma's"!

adrian seney said...

Two comments: 1) that looks yummy!!! I LOVE banana pudding and 2) I did not know that momma had a banana pudding recipe. Is this it??

Lora said...

IF Momma ever made banana pudding-it was for Noel-I NEVER SAW IT! This is just an old fashioned custard recipe for pudding. It is delicious & I do not worry about using low fat. Careful to not overcook-use ripe bananas & THE CROWNING GLORY-the meringue MAKES IT!

Deb said...

Can never go wrong with merinque...my FAV!