IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Sunday, March 30, 2008

YOU ALWAYS WORRY!!!!!!

I remember as a younger adult looking at what I considered "Senior Adults" at that time and thinking they had it made. Their kids were all grown and out of the house, they had cute little grandchildren, and their lives seemed to be their own. They were through the years of what I refer to as "Active Parenting". No more late nights, no more expenses relating to those off-spring and they were free to live a self-absorbed life focusing upon their needs and desires.


YEAH RIGHT!!!!

In case all of you young moms and dads think this will be the case someday, THINK AGAIN! Those days of "In the trench" parenting are over-but the worrying-well I don't think the worrying is ever over! Even those kids that are approaching "Middle Age" are still on the radar. You are concerned about the economy, their jobs, the dangerous society we are surrounded by, the cost of educating their children . . . . . . . . . the list can go on and on.

We and some of our peers have children that are floating around trying to figure out what they want to do with their lives. This is difficult for us to understand as need was the "Mother of Necessity" when working was concerned. We wanted good jobs and aspired to good jobs but bottom line was-we did not have the luxury of not working. I am not crying in my mug nor complaining, for I feel like I am the better person for this. We desire for our kids to have jobs that they love, but also understand looking back that there are no perfect jobs; just as there are no perfect people, there are also no perfect jobs.

Bobby & I both feel like our parents did not worry about us, our kids, our jobs, our future, or any other pertinent subject. They felt like they had done their job and had us raised and then we were on our own. Perhaps worrying about adult children is a generational thing, beginning with our generation. I really don't have an explanation except to say that things are very different now.

My friend, Barbara sent me an interesting article about this subject today which was the incentive for this post. Check it out and see what you think:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-03-24-boomers-kids_N.htm

I did not agree with everything the article said and definitely have no designs for our children taking care of us in the future. We used to kid Camille and tell her that we had her late in life so she could take care of us in our old age. That is certainly not our plan and we pray that we never need their help. Independence is the desire of each and every person that I know. The article does give me some comfort in knowing that I am not the only person worrying about their children.

I believe there is a scripture that states you don't add anything to your life by worrying. This is certainly "The Truth", but turning off worrying can sometimes be as difficult as turning off breathing.

3 comments:

Deb said...

I think my mom worries about her kids...it is what my family does. My grandfather worried about us when my Dad died. He would pace and pace out on his back porch.... Maybe your parents just didn't let it show. As scripture says..there is nothing new under the sun.

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

I have learned through the years not to worry so much...it can age you prematurely. I think the more of a control freak you are....the more you worry hehehehe. I used to be one but not so much anymore.

adrian seney said...

Please consider this your formal invitation to Abby's 1st birthday on Saturday. It's at 10:30 at our house. Ann and Andrew and their families will be here. We would love for you and Uncle Bobby to come.