IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Monday, March 10, 2008

IRRESISTABLE PULL!

We received an email from our sweet daughter in law, Caroline, last night about church yesterday. I couldn't believe it when I read it, for you see yesterday at church I had this overwhelming feeling come over me that I should blog about the pull of the Holy Spirit on my life. I came home and got busy and the next thing I know I am writing about Bobby's cars. While CERTAINLY an interesting and important topic, still not nearly as important as a "God" prodded blog. Caroline's email concerned the spiritual legacy of our family and the desire that her children and grandchildren would not be just "Believers", but "Followers".

This prompted my sweet remembrance of my own path to the "Follower" status. When a small child, I have memories of Sunday School, but none of ever being in church as a family. I think the years were turbulent and for the most part I had a sick Father and angry Mother. Life had not turned out like they had hoped and the emptiness and hurt were never recognized as what they were. The absence of the Truth and reassurance of the only Hope we ever will have. For some reason-unknown to me then, I would ask to be taken to church every Sunday. My Mother or Daddy would take me to the back door and drop me off. Most Sunday's I would come home after Sunday School, for you see worship services seemed like a time for families and not young girls sitting by their self. My Mammaw and Pappaw James and my Aunt Sister were there every Sunday, but for some reason I never went with them. As I grew older and had teenage friends and friends that drove, I went to Sunday School, Worship, and Sunday night MYF meetings and Worship. I don't remember anyone else in my immediate family going, but there was a "little voice" in me always telling me I needed to be there. I can't really say I was anything, but a "Babe" in Christ for all of those years, but a prolonged adolescence in Christianity is sometimes a common thing-even for adults.

Late in high school and in college, I became rebellious and "free spirited". I was convinced that I could worship on the mountain top and there was no need for "formal church" This straying from the Truth led to many tears and much heart ache as I reaped what I was sowing. A very painful lesson from God, but a lesson well learned.

After a failed marriage, while still in this separated state, and a ugly divorce, I was once again feeling the pull. I knew where I should be and the nagging would not leave until I finally found another spiritual home. Bobby ,Scott, & I began attending a local church before we married and thus began our joint spiritual odyssey. We have had periods of tremendous growth as well as periods of roaming the spiritual wilderness. One thing has never changed-there is a vacuum that we know only one thing can fill. Bobby has faithfully prayed us through life's ups and downs. He has welcomed the mantle of "Spiritual Head" for our family. He has been the "Hound of Heaven" for each and everyone of our children and loved ones. He never hesitates to speak "The Truth" with love and concern for those he loves. Where would I be without this "Gift from God"? There is no way to tell, but I am blessed and thankful that God has faithfully pursued me all of these years and I have always felt and know the irresistible pull of His Holy Spirit.

As sweet little grandson, Cade, told his Mother yesterday after church-THE ANSWER IS ALWAYS JESUS!

3 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

Amen, Cade. That's so encouraging.

Deb said...

My mother went to church alone as a child. She lived near by and walked. Josh knew a boy whose parents didn't attend church but he got up and came by himself to Sunday school and church. And now you.... I think these stories are so touching. Children are sometimes more obediant and more sensitive to the Lord's tender wooing than adults who many times block Him, ignore Him, or rationalize reasons they don't need Him. The tender hearts of children respond to Him because they are soft and open to His love. Thanks for sharing....

Hannah Lee said...

God is good...all the time. Thanks for those sweet and tender words.