IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Wednesday, March 19, 2008

THE LAND OF THE LIVING

"The rumors of my demise are exaggerated.", Mark Twain. I have decided to return to the land of the living. After a couple of days of running a low grade fever and every inch of me aching, my fever broke last night. I am left with this occasional racking cough from deep within my chest, but no other sign of ever being sick. When we ran early Monday morning, I knew I did not feel well, but laid it off to being tired from working in the yard all weekend. I pushed myself to run anyway and therefore had a pretty sorry run. Note to self-LISTEN TO BODY-IT MAY BE TRYING TO TELL YOU SOMETHING!

While clinging to the couch and trying not to move too much, I thought of the times when I was a very young girl that I got sick. Back in the good old days, the doctor made housecalls. CAN YOU EVEN IMAGINE! He made his appointed rounds with his large black bag. Many times it would be late in the evening before he would come, which meant he had a very long day. The small town GP, while held in very high esteem in the community, also probably worked as hard, if not harder than anyone in the area. The typical remedy, at the time, was the miracle drug of penicillin-no pills-no liquids-A SHOT IN THE REAR! To this day, I have to sike myself up for needles. They didn't know then, since it was relatively new, that overuse of the wonder drug, would also lead to an allergic reaction to it. I have had just such a reaction, but not a severe reaction. Bobby actually went into shock from the same reaction and ended up with a stay in the hospital. This could be the reason I tend to "doctor" myself now and try to get over things without a visit. Most of the time, it is a virus anyway and the anti-biotics do a virus no good.

I have peers that were actually delivered at home during those days. We have once again made the full circle and some are opting for home deliveries today. I CAN'T IMAGINE WHY-but that is their choice. It's pretty hard to believe that they had home deliveries, since Momma's tale was quite different. I believe she told me you stayed in the hospital for a week or two when you delivered and then stayed in the bed a full month. HOW IN THE WORLD did anyone have time to do that???? I personally prescribe to THE GOOD EARTH philosophy of having that baby and keeping right on going! That is another day and another blog.

Tomorrow is the first day of Spring. OH JOY! I plan to enjoy each and every minute of the promise that Spring brings with it. My azaleas are in full bloom and the trees have all begun to have their leaf buds open up. OH YES-MOTHER NATURE has come through again-Spring has Sprung!

2 comments:

adrian seney said...

Glad you are back. Your loyal and faithful followers missed you!

Deb said...

Jim and I are sitting here on the sofa having our first cup of java and I said I better check to see how Lora is....fired up the lap top and James Brown belts out..."I feel good". Jim JUMPED and then glibbly says, "Sounds like Lora is better". It doesn't sound that funny, but it cracked me up.

Glad you are back....and yes, I have many needles poked in my butt as a child by visiting docs.

Our Doc here in Ruston made house calls when we had Salmonella... right, Doctor Dale!