IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Saturday, March 8, 2008

INTERESTING CARS!!!!!

My first memory of a car is the above car. My Daddy had a 58 or 59 Oldsmobile 98 which was hot pink on the bottom and white on the top. Just like most men, Daddy had a love affair with automobiles. I distinctly remember being out for a drive one day in a Ford Thunderbird that Daddy wanted to see if it would go 100 mph. IT DID! Men and their toys! The toys just get bigger as they get older! The last car he had before he passed away was a Ford station wagon which was brown and white-BASICALLY UGLY! This is the car that Robbie and I drove until we went to college, when we had no car. Just as today-any wheels were better than no wheels!
I spotted the truck below while taking the garbage to the dumpsters the other day. INTERESTING! How in the world do they drive this thing and not drag the pavement every step of the way? Hopefully they have several jacks in the back-JUST IN CASE!
This car below is at the grocery store, almost every morning, early. I get a chuckle everytime I see it. The driver's door is kept shut with a padlock. The front bumper has the attachments as seen. The side mirror is held on by a wooden block which I suppose is bolted to the door.



I have had a series of cars over the years. When I reflect back to my favorites, they include the VW bug-which was fun to drive, the baby blue pinto that Bobby bought me before we married-4 on the floor & hatch back (such a cute car), the cutlass that the roof lining came loose and hung down behind me as I drove (finally found someone to fix it), and my current "yard truck", which is Gabe's old truck that I inherited via Pappaw. It also is 4 on the floor and I love to drive it. Maybe my fascination with standard shift came from the fact that I learned in my Granddaddy's old "Woodie Stationwagon" that he hauled his dogs around in. He taught me to drive when I was around 12 1/2 on the oil coated roads of East Texas. I currently am driving a white Ford explorer which is about the 4th or 5th white explorer that I have had. It has a 3rd row of seats, convenient for hauling runners to racers, and the ability to put the back 2 seats flat to haul all my "stuff" around with. When you find something that works-STICK WITH IT!


4 comments:

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

My favorite was a VW station wagon turbo that I had for 3 years. I had to get a jeep to haul my husbands trailer and 4 wheelers around that he NEVER rides. I swear I am getting a VW again.....SOON.

Deb said...

I have a thing about cars. I have always wanted a VW Bug. I love the new light blue ones. Jim had a blue and white VW micro bus with curtains when I met him... he was a musician and needed the space to drag his Hammond B-3 around to gigs. I loved my Dad's Buick Special ....1957, two toned, cream and maroon. Wonder why we humans get so attached to our cars?

Ann Miller said...

How could you write about cars and not include BC's old faithful? You really need to go there...

Anonymous said...

I've seen that pieces/parts car at the BK drivethru. It made my day! And I'm glad you've documented this because how else could you explain it? The only thing that's missing is duct tape.

NY Yankee Fan