IT'S NOT EASY BEING A SOUTHERN BELLE-EVEN AFTER YEARS OF PRACTICE!













Wednesday, July 23, 2008

WEDNESDAY'S SUMMER SUPPERS

I have been on a quest to find a delicious peach dessert. I have made 2 cobblers that I found less than perfect-too much dough. Today I worked at a peach pie. My pastry skills are less than good-so look past the fact that this is not very pretty. It was delicious! Served warm with ice cream-YUMMY! & EASY! This is still not "The Peach Dessert", but I am getting closer.
PEACH PIE
INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 (15 ounce) package pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
1 egg, beaten
5 cups sliced peeled peaches
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter

Preheat your oven-450 deg.

Cut up peaches & gently toss with lemon juice.
Line the bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie plate with one of the pie crusts. Brush with some of the beaten egg to keep the dough from becoming soggy later.

Mix your dry ingredients in a small bowl and then pour over peaches.



Gently coat the peaches with the flour mixture.



Load your crust with the peaches.




dot with butter. Cover with the other pie crust, and fold the edges under. Flute the edges to seal or press the edges with the tines of a fork dipped in egg. Brush the remaining egg over the top crust. Cut several slits in the top crust to vent steam





Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake for an additional 30 to 35 minutes, until the crust is brown and the juice begins to bubble through the vents. If the edges brown to fast, cover them with strips of aluminum foil about halfway through baking.
Cool before serving. This tastes better warm than hot.
I found this recipe on the Allrecipe Site.







Just before I scrapped the bowl clean! No greater recommendation!







3 comments:

The Kiser's said...

next time you're in Erie, drop a line and we will give you our address. You can then come over and work your magic. That looks like some good stuff!

Matthew Stone said...

You know...I haven't been to visit in a while...maybe I could come and...you know...we could sit and talk over some coffee...and maybe...some peach...pie? Yep. Sounds like a plan.

Really though that looks like the most amazing thing I have ever seen, and being at work and not eating breakfast this morning its making me envious.

Cynthia said...

Have you found your favorite peach dessert yet? I still have some Mitchams in my freezer that I planned to make into a cobbler or something equally amazing! I may just have to try out your pie recipe!